Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Fritos

dls2122
dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made Stuffed Fritos last Thursday and posted about how good they were Friday (Again - Thanks to Frank IN Houma) The question came up direct or indirect. I had made the direct Thursay night and was planning on making them again Saturday. I said I'd make them indirect and report which I prefered.

This is a non-brainer. Indirect was sooo much easier. With the direct method I ha dot do a lot of moving and watching to keep the chips from burning. These were so good it was worth the effort. Indirect was almost no effort whatsoever and I was able to use the whole grill without watching the flames.

Strongly recommend Stuffed Fritos for anyone looking for something new. I can just as strongly recommend the indorect method!

Thanks,
Don

Comments

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I was on vacation last week so I missed most of the threads/ recipes for these. Would you add taco meat and cheese in them or is there some other suggestion for stuffing them?
  • dls2122
    Frank in Houma's recipe was:

1# very lean Hamburger meat (93%)
    1 pack taco seasoning (I used Taco Bell Chipotle)
    1 cup Cheese (cheddar or any mexican melting cheese)
    4 Tablespoons salsa

Put mixture in Frito's scoops and in the egg for half hour. Remove and top with sour cream and/or guacamole. My kid devoured them - twice.

Frank in Houma's post had same great picts - I'm not so advanced yet. I'm still just happy things turn out!

Don
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Do them raised direct on a pan of some sort...I only move them once in 20-25 minutes...they come out perfect...
  • dls2122
    That just goes to show you - there is no best way. Everyone has their favorite methods. I didn't even think about using a pan wanting to keep them sitting "up" and used the grill to accomplish that. I guess I'm just going to have to make them again and try your way. Gee, that's a shame! :woohoo:

Kim, it's good to see you made them after last weeks discussion. Did your family enjoy them as much as mine did?
  • vidalia1
    I made them Friday & Sunday night...what does that tell you... :P

I put my chips on a wire screen so they sit up nice..I can just turn the screen for even cooking and they all come off at once...the bottoms still get crunchy...
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    I did them as well and used a fine grid cookie sheet. It is rectangular and allows for scooped out potatoes to be put on as well. The ease of use with the cookies sheet makes this app a breeze. I also love that the meat goes into the shell raw. Tremendous hit with the kids. I topped some with Japalenos as well for the folks that like it spicey (me).
    StuffedFritos2.jpg

I used Tostitos scoops as well to make sure that they worked just as easy, and also did the cheese later. Just so everyone knows, the Scoops bag of Fritos produces an extremely low amount of usable scoops. The bag has maybe 25 good scoops in my experience. The Tostitos are by far my favorite as the chip does not overpower the food and allows for more stuffing.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Hitch
    Made enough taco meat to do the Mexican pizza as well. That meat had to be browned prior to the cook.

Mexicanfiesta.jpg
  • vidalia1
    Hitch,

I agree about the Tostitos. You get a lot of "good" Scoop chips in each bag. One pound of lean ground beef will stuff about 50 -60 of the Tostito sccops...that feeds a nice crowd...

actually both time I fixed these I used 1/2 lb of lean beef as there were only 4 of us eating..that filled about 30 Tostito scoops..
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Hitch;

did you cook the potatoes first?

i will proabably tey these come football season :whistle:

well maybe before :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dls2122
    Those look great. Job well done. Okay - so now your telling me I need to try the raised direct method AND Tostitos. Gee, how many times am I going to have to make these to find my favorite? It's a shame I'm going to have to go at least 2 more times :laugh:

Thanks,
    Don
  • vidalia1
    Don,

That is one of the sacrifices we have to make :silly:
  • Hitch
    Potatoes were halved and scouped to about 1/4 inch left and were put on the grill uncooked with the raw meat in them. I will say that it is better to have them indirect as well as a couple of mine were exposed and consequently had a blackened skin on the bottom. I was at 350 grate and had them on about 1/2 hour. They were done, but I bet 40 minutes would be a bit better. I like the potatoes cause they are bigger :whistle: and allow for much more toppings. Lettuce, salsa, cheese, guac, s cream.

Nothing wasted as the misses made mashed potatoes with the remaining potatoes and ohhh the kids loved that with their Takitos (this app has been affectionaly called this around our house).

Personally, I think the name should stick, but I did this cook thanks to Frank in Houma. His call, but my kids are pretty dead set on it. :cheer:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Sounds great, but at what temp??

Greg
  • vidalia1
    BTW...I am going to take that same filling for "stuffed fritos" and put them in ABT's and wrap in bacon...I haven't done it yet but it will be done soon..
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I too made them in the Tostitos and found them very tasty. However the bottom of the chips turned almost mushy. They were cooked raised indirect over some ribs. I’m guessing the moisture off the ribs got to them.

Tostitos.jpg
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX