Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preventing inferno on burger cook?

BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking 30 plus burgers Sunday at a family get togeather. Any ideas of keeping the fires down. Thought about going indirect with foil and pan to catch most of the grease ahead of time then going direct right before lunch. Using frozen T-N-T burgers from Sam's for convience.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    kinda tough with that many going at once.

usually just shutting the dome will snuff the flames, but if you need to flip a bunch of burgers, once the air hits the coals (with the lid open), yer scrood.

i've tried kicking the lower vent shut, but that only seems to help for little while (ten seconds?).

back on the fourth of july was the last time i cooked a bunch of burgers, and i remember that i still only did about 6 at a time, with 6 dogs or so. did the whole cook in batches.

what it allowed me to do though was flip two burgers at a time to the other side, out of the flare up and over a relatively colder spot. rolled the dogs to make some room. then, if i wanted the burgers to go back over the hotter part of the fire, i just spun the grill in place, so they were back over the coals.

but i was only doing a half dozen, maybe eight at a time

lid shut, thankfully, the flare up goes out quickly at least
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Do NOT partially cook - allow to cool - then finish cook.
    Health wise, that would be a bad thing.

With the dome closed, you shouldn't have any flare-ups. The trick will be flipping that many. A helper maybe? Open the dome with one person on each side holding a long handled spatula.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if its flairing up too much just take the loaded grill out of the egg for the flipping. i actually like the egg flairing while flipping burgers, gives it a slightly charred flavor but ive not done 30 of them at one time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    maybe lay a second grid on toppa the burgers, then flip the grid sandwich together, remove the erstwhile bottom grid, and get back to the beverages!

hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Now THAT sounds like a plan!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I cook my burgers raised direct at 375 for 5 minutes per side...I only flip once and then add cheese if desired...not too much smoke that way...
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    I do burgers indirect all the time. They come out great, juicy even when cooked to medium or more. You may not even need to flip them.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You won't be doing 30 at one time anyway. Assume you have a LBGE, 10-12 is all you can get on the grate. Three repetitions through and your are done in 20 mins.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Well you could get another Weber grate with the handles and then remove the grate to flip the food and then put it back. This can also be done when adding new patties each time. Wear long gloves.
  • db
    db Posts: 37
    I did that once with chicken thighs. Started with 16 thighs and ended with 6 on the grate, 10 in the parking lot.
  • Thanks for all the advise! Will sipher on it some more and give it heck Sunday. Hopefully I'll still have arm hair, eye lashes, and unburned knees when it's over. It's the In-laws so maybe I'll tell my brother-in-law to"Check those burgers!" and stand back and be ready to catch the lid. :whistle: