Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Savory Pie

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have recipe(s) for a "Shepherds Pie" or other savory/meat pie dish?
A friend of mine makes Sheperds pie in the oven by mixing instant mashed potato's with whatever meat is leftover, and making pie of it. It is actually pretty darn good, but I was thinking I could improve upon what she does.

Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you have a good chili recipe it can make a good pie if you simmer it down first til its thick. your favorite sausage in a pie shell is also good, kinda like a fattie pie. ive simmered down gumbo before and it made for a good pie. i have the recipe for the tourtiere which is what we eat at xmas time, the salmon pie i found on the web is pretty simple and i could find that recipe if you want it. the fiddlehead pie is more a quiche. shepards pie on the egg would be good but no recipe for that
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=421800&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Here are two from a few years ago that work well on the egg. Good Luck!

Posted 5/25/04. Pork Pepper Pie.

porkp007.jpg

With a fond nod to Yard Boy for inspiring this dish.....
    I had leftover pastry dough, pork butt and bacon in the fridge that had to be eaten..... I was too lazy to go to the store for cheese, sour cream and vidalias so I used yellow onions and winged the rest.
    Sorry for being unspecific about measurements..... everything was eyeballed.

Based on YB's Vidalia Pie.

~In a skillet caramelize about 2 lbs of yellow onions in butter with 2 serrano peppers on very low heat for about 1/2 hour.... this helped to bring out the sweetness in the onion.
    ~In another skillet cook bacon, strips cut in half, until just about brown.

In a bowl mix onions/serranos with:
    ~ 3 beaten eggs
    ~ a bunch of chopped up pork bbq
    ~ a couple dollops of real mayo
    ~ about 1 TBS of Tabasco
    ~ and a whole mess of Bonesmokers Crank It Up! Pepper Blend (that I nabbed from drbbq's bbq class..... sorry, QBabe :~)

Roll out the dough and press it into a 10" skillet.
    Pour in the mix.
    Top with the bacon.
    Bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes (again, being too lazy to start up the egg, I cooked it in the oven.... though I'm sure it would work very nicely in the egg)
    Broil the last few minutes, keeping a watchful eye, until the bacon turns perfectly brown.

Let it set for a while before slicing and serving.

This pie was full flavored and nicely balanced between the pork, onion and peppers......... oh yeah, and a PBR....... thanks Larry!

John

Chili and Cornbread Pie posted on 6/17/04.

ChiliPie.jpg

When I got home last night there was nothing in the fridge but some suspect hot dogs and wilted carrots.... and after searching through the kitchen for a while, things weren't looking too promising for dinner.
    Opening the freezer, there it was ..... a quart of chili made a couple months back... and looking through the cupboards, there were fixins for cornbread.
    I like cornbread with chili and having remembered seeing a recipe for combining the two, I thought I'd wing it.

I started up the egg, put in the platesetter feet down, let the temp steady at 350, set the skillet pie on the setter, closed the dome and let it cook for about an hour until the cornbread got nice and brown.

It turned out really well and I ate way too much.

Chili and Cornbread Pie

Fill the bottom of a 12" cast iron skillet with about a quart of chili.

In a bowl mix:

~ 1/2 chopped onion
    ~ 1 14 oz. can creamed corn
    ~ about 1/2 cup of milk
    ~ 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    ~ dollop of mayo (no eggs and couldn't think what else to use)
    ~ about 1.5 cups of yellow cornmeal
    ~ 3 tsp baking powder

Mix well. Try to keep the mixture from getting too thick or too thin..... it should just pour out of the bowl.

Evenly pour over the chili and bake until brown on top.

Have a moment of silence for the greens, crack a PBR and eat.

John

ChiliPie2.jpg
  • porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Options
    That chili pie looks like a great football season dish. I gotta try that!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    First loose the instant potatoes YUK :evil: I have always done it with cooked burger with onions and celery till done lay in the bottom of a casserole dish. cover one half with one vegi of choice and the other half with another. corn and green beans are our favorites. spread a can of mushroom soup over the top and top the whole thing with REAL mashed potatoes. sprinkle with paprika and bake till bubbly. grated cheese on top or in side over vegis is good too. it is a great dish to really use up left overs
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this one looks good::::

Casserole, Pie, Rodney's Q

1 large deep-dish pie crust
    4 medium potatoes
    1 lb pulled smoked beef
    1/2 cup yellow cheese, grated
    15 jalapeno slices
    2 Tbs butter
    1 cup BBQ sauce

Bake pie crust until golden brown. Boil or microwave potatoes until tender (skin or off), drain water, add butter, and mash. (I like to leave them slightly lumpy). Spoon enough potatoes into baked pie crust to fill pan about half way. Mix pulled beef with enough BBQ sauce to cover and mix thoroughly. Spoon beef/sauce mix on top of potatoes to fill pie crust. Pour extra sauce on top. Cover pie with grated cheese and finally top cheese with jalapeno slices. Bake in 350F oven until cheese is melted and pie is hot throughout. It would be just as easy to make up several of these and freeze one or two for later use.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Rodney

Source: BGE Forum, Rodney

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I'm with you on the chili & cornbread. That's going to be great this fall.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Great Dish! Bonesmoker's 13 Pepper Blend is my far-and-away favorite, hands down. The big problem is I can't buy it anywhere! If anyone can find me some I'd go to some pretty great lengths to eat ribs seasoned with that stuff again... Anyone?

Steve W