Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can chicken on large egg

Options
emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did 5 beer can chickens on my egg Sunday and have a few questions. I was able to get them all to fit but would have had a problem trying to put 6 on the grill. What does everyone do with the thermometer?
I had a time moving chickens around so they would still have room to allow for the browning of the skin.
Do you just remove it and stick a piece of gum over the hole? I do have a need to do 6 maybe 7 chickens for a mens lunch and need to get this figured out.
I did brine the birds for 4 hours in 3 gal of water and 1 1/2 cup pickle salt with 1/2 cup lemon pepper seasoning. I took the birds out of thier bath and rinsed them off and set them in the fridge for an hour to dry the skin. Put a good amount of lemon pepper seasoning on the outside with Beck's Premium Light beer.
The flavor and moistness of the birds was great and nothing but compliments from all that ate.

PS I found a remote temperature probe at WalMart for 14.99 and it worked great in the chicken to tell when it reached 180.
E

Comments

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Take the clip that's holding the thermometer inside the dome and put it outside to shorten the length of the probe. That should give you some more room.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If you do half cocked chicken then just double decker it you can do more.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/halfc.htm
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if the egg is fairly stablized at temp, just move quicker getting the chicken in there and dont use the thermometer. dont worry about the hole. i went several months with no gage in the dome as they were tossed into the lake while shovelling. after 45 minutes you will know if they need more heat or less and just adjust up or down, i think ive seen 7 3 to 4 pound chickens in an egg at once on one grid.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Are you talking split broilers? I thought of that I do have a 3 layer grid I found at Ace Harware in Highlands NC while on a vacation. I don't want to move birds around. The ones close to the heat get to done. I will work on getting it setup with the probe on the outside as suggested to see how that works. Certainly enjoying my egg and the family is also.
    E
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    I had the same problem first time I did a beer can chicken, but my chx was so upright that the dome thermo actually split the breast when i closed the lid and some of the top of the chicken closed the vent at the top. Had to reposition. I have heard of pulling the thermo out a bit by loosening the clip inside the dome (like the other egger suggested) and placing a cut piece of cork from a wine bottle or even a tinker toy between the back of the thermo and the dome lid where there is space. I guess this is to give the probe a little more stability. Good luck