Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I fail at blackened chicken

omahaegger
omahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I'd try something new, I always love blackened chicken fetticini alfredo at restuarants and I figure I'd take a go at it. I searched for various blackened chicken recipes and I found a blackening seasoning recipe that looked good. So I fire up the egg with the 12" cast iron skillet on it to warm up with it. I get the egg up to 600 or so degrees, I coat the chicken in butter and liberally cover with my seasoning.
Most of the recipes I found didn't really list a cook time with it, so I started at like 4 minutes per side. After the first 4 minutes, the first side looks great, I flip, go another 4, the second side looks like the first. I figure I'd check the temp with my probe thermometer, interior is only 108 or so degrees, no one near done. So I quick find a recipe and they quote 10 minutes per side, so I put the chicken back on against my better judgement and go another 5 minutes per side. Well as you may have guessed instead of blackened chicken I got charred to death chicken.
My next attempt I'll probably do 2-4 minutes per side on the skillet and then throw it in the oven at 350 or so until I get to the temp I want.

anyone have any suggestions or recipes that I can try next??

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Take that "OVERCOOKED" batch, freeze for the next stock or gumbo and try this.

Chicken, Breasts, Blackened, Handfire77

Hello Guys, *******After all the questions I have asked on here I thought I should help contribute back to the forum with something instead of a question. *******I had a decent blackened chicken sandwich the other day at red robin and thought that would be good on the BGE. So here is what I did and the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. They were the best chicken sandwiches I have ever had.

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken breast thawed
    Paul Prudhommes magic seasoning “blackened redfish Magic” seasoning
    Pepper jack cheese sliced
    Mayonnaise (I use Dukes myself)
    1 Small Can Chipotles (found in the ethnic section of the supermarket)

Procedure:
    1 Get the big green egg up to searing temp
    2 You need to sear on a skillet. I have a lodge cast iron one I use for searing
    3 Sprinkle the blackenening on a plate and “stamp” the chicken in the seasoning I do both sides.
    4 When your skillet comes up to temp throw on a couple of pats of butter. On mine it looked like a Japanese restaurant with the flames. Be careful putting the chicken on the melted butter. It will splatter if you drop it and there will be a lot of smoke also.
    5 Blacken the chicken till you get a nice crust but be careful not to burn it. Believe it or not you can “burn” the blackening. I did mine about 75 seconds per side.
    6 Now pull off the chicken and let it rest. Shut off the bottom vent and put the rain cap on the top. Let the egg cool down to 400 degrees. This will take about 20 mins. When you hit 400 degrees stabilize the egg there. Put your chicken back on and cook direct for about 4 mins. Then flip and cook till 170 deg internal. Add the pepper jack cheese about two minutes before pulling off.
    7 Now for the mayo. Take about a cup to cup and a half of the mayo and put it into a blender or food processor. Add the chipotles one at a time and blend to taste. You can also add the adobe sauce for taste and color. What you get is mayo with a kick.
    8 Place on a bun with the mayo and whatever else you like Lettuce tomato ect. And Enjoy!!
    9 James

Recipe Type
    Poultry, Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Hangfire77, 2008/06/08
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 32
    I would suggest using extra virgin olive oil instead of butter to cook the chicken. Once chicken is cooked you can remove from pan and let rest a few minutes covered with foil. Deglaze the pan with some white wine or chicken stock and drop a pat of butter in pan to finish sauce. Pour over chicken and serve on a bed of pasta. Always remember that the chicken will continue cooking for a few after removing from pan and that will keep it from over cooking. My 2cents worth.
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 32
    I'll be trying your recipe tomorrow!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    You could try and flatten out the chicken a little. I'm assuming you are using boneless breasts. Just pound them a little with a mallet. Try to get the breast the same thickness all the way across.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Exactly, I've never tried it but if I did I would pound out the chicken to about 3/8" and coat with butter and seasonings. Sear high heat 90 seconds a side and a rest should be cooked fine. -RP
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    My blackening technique is similar to TRexing. Just blacken long enough to get the desired char, then finish to the desired internal meat temperature on a grid. I blacken in the fire ring and finish on a grid in the dome.

Be careful not to go to hot on the pan as many spices can't handle that much heat....

blackenedribeyes012.jpg

blackenedribeyes03291.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    chicken breast blackened on a turkey fryer set up and finished in the egg. A reasonable char is satisfactory for me to preserve some moisture in the meat. T

misc001.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.