Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggies on the side?

Options
Blazer
Blazer Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large round enameled cooking grid with small holes, for grilling veggies, shrimp, and other small items that could fall trough the normal grid.

However, what do you folks use to grill some veggies along with large pieces of chick, pork, etc? (at the same time)

Does someone make a grid with small holes like mine that is smaller, that only takes up part of my Large BGE surface, leaving room for the meat?

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I found a flat sheet in the bbq section which has holes that cover about 1/2 of the surface area. It is like very thin sheet metal that can be cut with a pair of scissors. DO NOT USE YOUR WIFE'S GOOD SCISSORS (sorry, I had a flashback to when I was a little kid). I cut it in a curved fashion so I could put it along the wall of the egg and take up as little space as possible. Then I bent the edges up about a 1/2 inch all the way around to keep the veggies in place. Works great for grilling onions for burgers. I bought it at Lowe's for $5 for a pack of 2. You can get in from Amazon.com for $20 for a pack of 10. They are 12" X 18"
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I forgot to tell you the name of it is Grill-O-Sheet.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Good ol' aluminum foil, just make pouches cut up vegies almost any combination a little EVOO maybe some Dizzy Pig put them wherever they will fit, they come out great. if you do two or three pouches just move them around occasionally so they are all done at the same time.
    GhickenPotatoesOnions.jpg
    These are just onion halves with a little EVOO and a half a bullion cube.

Good luck
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 47
    Options
    I ran by Whole Foods at lunch because I read that they had Dizzy Pig rubs. (They did not!)

But I did see one of those square Woks full of holes for cooking the small stuff. But this one was about 12" square, and had slots that allowed the two halves to slide together, making it about half of the original size.