Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It finally cracked

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I tried to keep the firebox always full hoping that would stop the firebox from cracking, well Saturday I found out it didn't. I believe this is my passport in to the cracked firebox club :-) [p]Also just finished an 8 1/2 pounder Pork Pinic, 26 1/2 hours and the last 3 hours I put the pork in foil.[p]Guess what we're having all this week[p]Dublin

Comments

• Dublin,
    "having all this week"? How do you make it last that long? LOL
    Seriously if you weight it, you'll find quite a loss from the 8.5#, OTOH that's still a lot of good eating. Myself, I measure out pp and freeze meal size portions in Food Saver bags and freeze them. Great change of pace meal mid-week...and besides that way you don't get tired of having it meal after meal until gone.

• dublin
    Options
    kat,
    Yes I agree, I was just kidding, I have 1 1/2 inch steaks from Costco, A 5.5 lbs brisket a rack a lamb ribs and a half rack of ribs waiting to be cooked this week, than I can run out to costcos over the weekend and pick some more stuff up.
    BTW the Pinic was .59 cents a pound. I couldn't resist ;-)
    The main reason I wanted to cook the Pork was because I wanted the meat for Atomic Bufflo Truds, wife is out Thursday night so the Turds and beer will be handed out around the neighborhood.
    Funny thing is, Everytime I cook on the egg people just appear from outta the trees. Anyone else have this problem?[p]PS I see a small BGE coming to a house thats mine in the very near future, Woodoggies, you created a monster.
    Dublin

• Dublin,
    duuuuuuuuuuude.....
    26.5 hrs for an 8.5lb picnic?
    3.11+ hrs per pound???
    How hot were you cooking at???? 180 degreez?[p]I've heard of low and slow but dang!
    Hope you enjoy.

• dublin
    Options
    Jolly Roger,
    I cooked it at 210* seems pretty long to me also.
    Have not tried it yet, but your making me worry[p]Dublin

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    dublin,[p]Let's see..... a picnic, steaks, brisket, rack o lamb, ABT's, ribs.... Yep, I would say that's not a shabby menu to spread out over a week of dog days of summer. Nope, not at all. [p]Funny you asked about the neighbors. Last friday when I was pulling the ribs off from a late cook, the neighbors magically appeared with offerings of beers. Good thing there was plenty to go around..... their company, beers and my ribs made for a very good evening. Even my pup was happy with his share of the bones.[p]Enjoy those cooks and beers to you![p]WD[p]