Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What is your favorite brand of Coffee?

Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using Community Dark Roast for the past year or so for regular coffee and illy in the Pavoni for expresso. Whats your favorite?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Mavis Bank's or Country Trader's Jamaican Blue Mountain

or anything Millstone.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Gevalia #1, Folgers #2. *BUCKS Never. The troops ask them for *$$$'s They responded, " We don't support the war or the troops". I pray they go belly up. My opinion of course. Miles out.
  • Smokin Tiger
    I saw an article on CNN/Money that Starbucks was closing 600 under performing stores. That won't even make a dent with one on almost every corner.

TC
  • Celtic Wolf
    Friends don't let friends drink starbucks...

For a similar reason I am reluctant to see a George Lucas movie..

When the original Star Wars movie was released in the late 70's he refused to allow the Movie to be shown in the Armed Forces Theaters.. Hypocritical to say the least..

However the Starbuck's refusal is an Urban Legend
  • Smokin Tiger
    CW

I see that Country Traders has a website. Do you order it and the Mavis Banks's online or is it available locally in your area?

Thanks

TC
  • Celtic Wolf
    I go to Jamaica and get it.
  • milesofsmiles
    Thank you C. W. I stand corrected. An ole east Tennessie Irish hillbilly should not believe all hears on talk radio, But *$$$'s still sux. Miles out.
  • Celtic Wolf
    You are forgiven..

Starbucks is a decent standby if you enjoy over roasted beans.
  • milesofsmiles
    Just saw your Greenwood post. I pray you are well. I guess that means no Laurens comp. as well. My prayers are with you. See you elsewere some day. Miles out.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I'm an incredible coffee snob. I roast my own in a Gene's Cafe roaster. What a great gadget. Most beans I get from Sweet Marias or the Unroasted. I'm quite partial to the Costa Rica from Sweet Marias and a Mocha Java blend from Unroasted. Sometimes will mix my own Mocha Java from a Sumatra/El Salvador blend...but I don't have it QUITE right yet. It's still a little pale. Espresso is a peaberry that roasts beautifully without getting oily. I use a French Press only for coffee (get an instant hot water dispenser and you'll never go back to drip). Espresso and its variations are on a Gaggia Titanium.

Aren't you glad you asked?

mShark
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Sorry..I drink coffee to wake up..I spend my time fretting over my favorite bourbon and which cigar it goes best with ;) :woohoo:
  • Smokin Tiger
    I have a LaPavoni expresso machine and use it on weekends and holidays. I don't usually have enough time on the weekdays to fool with it. It makes great expresso, but is a bit like alchemy. I have used Denesi, illy and LaPalombini coffees in it, and all are pretty good. Making the perfect shot of expresso can become something of a quest.... (My wife thinks I am crazy)

I have been thinking about getting a french press for coffee on weekdays. You may have just pushed me over the edge...

Thanks

TC
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Hey Smokin,
    Try Cafe Dumonde from New Orleans. It is very economical and has a great strong flavor. I like the chicory taste and it comes in decaf as well. Thanks for asking
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Nothing fancy here. Folgers Columbian in a $13 Melita drip cone. Reheated in the microvave as needed.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I think I know where i want to order my coffee from now on!! :laugh:
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Mollyshark has the answer: roast your own. I use the same roaster and love the Kona from Sweet Marias. Green beans are very economical (usually around $5 a pound, unless it's Kona or Blue Mountain)and you can get a small roaster for under $100.

Slick
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Einstein Bros. "Neighborhood Blend". Bring your mug in and a refill is $0.99. I buy the beans there and have them grind them for me (I don't have a grinder). Never tastes quite as good as from their commercial brewers, but still "Darn good coffee," as Melvin says.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I typically buy my beans at a small coffee shop that used to be called Beaner's, but they were sued and forced to change the name to Biggby's - apparently some ethnic group was offended by the name, not understanding that coffee comes from a doggone bean.

Anywho, I prefer dark roasts - Sumatra Mandheling is my favorite right now - and I do all mine at home in a Jura Capresso pressure brewer the grinds, tamps, and brews to order and also makes a fine espresso. In the office I use a press and usually use low acid beans like Costa Rican or Kona.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mornin molly,
    which peaberry from which source?
    thanks.
    bill
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i roast my own in a behmor roaster, get the beans from sweet marias and espresso machine is a rancillio 'sylvia'
    i prefer sumatra and yemeni mokha but i order small amounts of different types to experiment with. lately it has been aged and monsooned types.
    i also bought a lb of india robusta beans. basically crap coffee on its own but it is added to espresso blends to provide crema and an extra dimension to the taste. this is what illy does to get the great crema. this weeks roast had 25% robusta and the crema was my best to date maybe i will post a pic later.
    bill
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Molly, I have had the Hottop and now the Behmor, I have over 14 types of beans in the cabinet, everything from JBM to Kaanapali, to some real nice Harrar.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Another vote for Sweet Marias We're fans of the Mexican coffee, which has been unavailable for a bit. We have a HotTop roaster, a Rancilio Rocky grinder ,and a Technivorn Drip Brewer.

Sweet Marias is a great online vendor to deal with.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Stumptown Roasters Holler Mountain Blend.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I'm wanting to join your ranks some day. I'm partial to Costa LaMinta but I buy mine at a local roaster.
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    So would you recommend the Behmor for a first time roaster??

Thanks
    ChrisC
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Hey Smokin,
    Try Cafe Dumonde from New Orleans. It is very economical and has a great strong flavor. I like the chicory taste and it comes in decaf as well. Thanks for asking
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    I have one cup of expresso every morning. I use Bustello coffee from the supermarket, and make it in a 3 cup, aluminum, on-the-stove expresso pot. Tastes great, easy to do.
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Crash wrote:
    Hey Smokin,

I buy the Community w/Chickory coffee at Kroger. I really like it but it comes in "soft" packages and not cans. With my son about to head back over to Iraq I'll have to go back to Kroger brand coffee since it comes in cans that I can pack cookies and soft snacks in to send over to him. The cans offer excellent snack protection!