Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skate wings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone here tried to grill Skate Wings? Any hints, suggestions, or cautionary notes?

As usual, thanks
St. Fern

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    most recipes ive seen say to saute in butter, you could do that in the egg in a castiron pan. i just cut the line and let them go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    just wondering.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Parts of a flat, junk fish (although they're great bait for the lobster pots). They kinda resemble a ray with a long tail that can render a nasty sting.
  • citychicken
    Options
    ooops... glad i asked. i was thinking chicken wings.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    real ugly flat bottom fish that sits on the bottom like a sea ray, they only eat the flat side sections which are refered to as wings. they are an incidental catch when fishing for flounder and rumered to be hole punched and sold as scollops back in the 70's. the ones up here have a nasty spiney tail that you dont want flapping all over the boat, ive never actually seen anyone keep one to eat but they probably taste fine, especially served with lots of butter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • citychicken
    Options
    thanks fishless.
    sounds like you be talkin' carp and catfish; neither of which i find myself likin even with tons of butter.

that being said, time to make some real wings... pepper chicken wings with a garlic butter sauce.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I also have never seen anyone keep a skate. Oddly enough I have seen it on some menus recently.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Very common in fish markets here - but I've yet to try it. Would like to hear reports from consumers (BGE or not).
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Use to make them years ago. Skin the wings then with a cookie cutter punch out pieces and cook like scallops. Not as good but they were not bad either. And yes stay away from the tail. I,ve been stung a few times and it does hurt.
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I've had it several times in restaurants... very light, flaky, "sweet" taste - not fishy... consistency kinda like trout - without the skin. I doubt it would make a good "grill" fish... too delicate. Usually served sauteed in butter
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Skates don't have barbed tails, those are rays, same family of fish but different animals. I used to eat them sometimes when I lived in Florida, I don't like to kill things and not eat them, so when we killed one fishing, skate wing was on the menu. Kind of a pain to clean, but tasty. I always fried mine, never tried to egg one, but from my experience, hot and fast would be the way to go...