Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf?

Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone had luck cooking meatloaf on the Egg? If so, I'd love to hear of your ideas & recipes.[p]TIA

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    birdman,[p]Here is a link to the only one I've done. We did really enjoy it though.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Mexican Meatloaf[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    birdman,
    Make up your favorite meatloaf recipe...any will do. Line a meat loaf pan with plastic wrap. Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the pan and smooth the top. Cover with more plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.[p]Remove the plastic wrap from the top. Invert the chilled meatloaf onto a disposable aluminum tray that has about 2 inches clearance on all sides of the meatloaf. Remove the plastic wrap.[p]Preheat the Egg to 350 degrees. Bake the meatloaf for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Remove when a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.
    JimW

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    birdman,
    We do our meatloaf on one of those fish/veggie grids, with a drip pan underneath. I prefer to make my meatloaf into a thin rectangle shape, as opposed to the loaf shape Cooked it for about an hour at 350. If you want my meatloaf recipe let me know.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    birdman,
    I haven't tried this, so I can't vouch for it. It was sent by Joe Wells from the Food/Wine Discussion List and he swears by it and says it receives rave reviews from even those who don't usually like meatloaf. He may be lurking! I'm giving him credit...he doesn't YET own an Egg, hence the reference to the pit.[p]OLE MAN JIM'S MEATLOAF[p]
    5 lb ground chuck roast
    2-1/2 lb ground pork
    2 large onions, minced
    2 ea bell peppers, minced
    16 oz italian seasoned bread crumb (.99 at walmart)
    2 oz cajun bbq rub
    2 teaspoon thyme (I used Italian Seasoning)
    2 teaspoon sage
    6 large eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup danny's glaze*
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    1/3 cup danny's glaze for topping
    DANNY'S GLAZE
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup yellow prepared mustard[p]DANNY'S GLAZE
    Place brown sugar, vinegar and yellow mustard in a small pot and bring to a simmer (Do not boil.)[p]MEATLOAF
    Thoroughly hand mix first eleven (11) ingredients then form into 2 equal loaves. Place each loaf into a foil loaf pan and place both into a 275°F pit for 2-1/2 hours. Remove from pit, brush tops with Danny's glaze and return to pit for 15 more minutes.[p]Drain fat from loafs, slice and serve while still warm. Although it's good on sandwiches also.[p]For my taste, I would add a jalepeno also[p]Yield: 2 large loaves[p]--[p]"Chocolate chip cookies and duct tape make the world go round"[p]Joe Wells
    Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
    403 ADMN, University of Arkansas
    Fayetteville, AR 72701

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    birdman,
    Here is a link (I hope) to a previous post awhile back. Sure is good.

[ul][li]Meatloaf Recipe[/ul]
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    JimW,
    Just curious; I see some recipes say to cook to internal meat temp of 160 degrees and some to 170. I've always gone closer to 170. At 160 degrees, is there any pink in the middle?

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    whatever recipie you use, try it in a v-rack and drip pan setup. last time i did one, i made a 3# loaf (ala mexican), rolled it up and covered in w/rub, put it in the v-rack w/drip pan. comes out like a tube for perfect round slices, and is not greasy, but nice and crusty all the way round.[p]makes good sammiches the next day too!
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    WudEyeDoo,
    There is no pink. It's completely cooked through.
    JimW

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    birdman,
    Use whatever recipe you have for a meatloaf. I cook mine direct in a loaf pan for a little over an hour at 350*. Then, straight to sandwiches with a little bbq sauce.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    birdman,
    somewhere in the archives there's Cat's Meatloaf if you cna't find it e-mail me and I'll send you the recipt. It's killer. She made it at the 2000 Waldorf Eggfest and it may be just one of the best I've ever had!

• Sundown,[p] A quick trip to the Submitted Recipes section yielded this link for Cat's meatloaf.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Eggfest Meatloaf[/ul]