Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wise investment

Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So,
I made a wonderful T-bone tonight with grilled zucchini and I used my misto olive oil spray container. I have had this thing for about 3-4 years and love it. My parents had one for some time, that is where I got turned on to it. But, for any of you who are not familiar with this item:
mistro.jpg
You can put whatever olive oil(I presume you could put any liquid in this as long as it doesn't have particles that may clog it up) in the bottom, and the top acts as a pump. Then point and spray, it came in handy for my zucchini tonight, but I use it almost everyday. And I am baffled how long it takes to go through just a couple of onces of olive oil. Hope someone finds this useful, and others who already have one might chime in about how they like(or dislike :huh: )

Comments

• MonetsMom
    MonetsMom Posts: 12
    This looks great, thanks, I'll have to get one!!
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I just bought one about a month ago. Yes, it does work great. Makes a little mess, but worth the money. I still prefer to use Pam (just used to it).
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I have one too. I bought it about 5 years ago but haven't used it in a while. They are great, I really loved mine. I need to start using it again, I forgot about it until I read your post. Thanks!
  • mrjz
    mrjz Posts: 4
    I second the recommendation. I received one recently as a gift and it works fantastic! It does a great job of delivering the olive oil in a mist which - as you noted - makes it stretch a long way!
  • Just picked one up about a month ago. Works great for lightly oiling veggies before grilling them. Seems to hold the pressure for a reasonable time, but when the pressure gets low it will dribble the oil and make a mess. I pump it up before each use.

Bill
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Barrett, do you use it primarily for lubing the grid, directly on foods with spices, or ?

tks....RB
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Where do you buy them?
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I started using a misto sprayer when we lived in France for a few years. The only way you could get Pam cooking spray was at an American specialty store for a rather exorbitant price so we opted for the next best thing and we have been using it ever since. It is absolutely fabulous when you want to coat a food item in evoo as there is no need to get your hands dirty! If you are looking for one, just head to a good kitchen store and you should be able to find more than one brand (Starfrit has one too).

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• If you have a Pampered Chef rep in your area, I know they carry a very similar item . . . we have 2 in our home.
    One thing about them is that after awhile the nozzle begins to gum up so you just get a very thin pressurized stream of oil, but it still serves the purpose!
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I got mine a few years ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Use it almost every day and love it.
  • Ron,
    All of the above. I sometimes spray my grid with it before I throw something like a chicken on, to keep the skin from sticking and ripping. Last night, I coated some zucchini with it to throw on some S&P and some Ragin River, they cooked up great. Like zucchini chips. I cut them about a 1/8 of an inch and the ended up getting real thin and crispy, which was my goal. The better half probably would have liked them more in a grilled zucchini state, but she pulled through. Keep an eye out for one at BBB or Linens and Things. Always use a coupon at those places, they send them out constantly and each store takes each others. Hope this helps.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    I have two. One is a typhoon which has a clear acrylic base - I keep oil with some scotch bonnets in it (I change them every once in a while) and the other is a clear plastic one http://www.lakeland.co.uk/refillable-pump-'n'-spray/F/keyword/oil+mist/product/3199
    The top half of my misto one fell apart some time ago.