Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered a boneless prime rib from the butcher this morning (kinda wanted bone-in, but I guess thats a holiday thing) and I'm looking for basic set up suggestions for a feast this weekend.[p]I'm thinking indirect over the pizza stone and a drip pan @350.[p]Hows that sound? Thanks!

Comments

• Skwerl X,[p]Dry Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus [p]This was meant for bone in but will work just the same[p]1 (4-bone-in) standing rib roast
    Canola oil, to coat roast
    2 tblsp Kosher salt
    2 tblsp freshly ground pepper
    1 cup water
    1 cup red wine
    4 fresh sage leaves [p]Dry Aging (Roast - water = Flavor)
    If you can try to dry you roast byt doing the following:
    ( i got this process from FoodTV)
    Remove any plastic wrapping or butcher's paper from the roast. Place the rib roast onto a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. The rack is essential for drainage. Place dry towels loosely on top of the roast. This will help to draw moisture away from the meat. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38 degrees F. You can measure both with a refrigerator thermometer. Change the towels daily for 3 days. [p]Cooking Instructions
    Heat Egg to 250 –300 degrees F. [p]Completely coat roast with oil, and cover with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to coat the surface. [p]Place the roast over a drip pan (glass bake-ware works nice). This will catch the drippings needed for the sauce. Finally, place a probe thermometer into the center of the roast. Put the roast and the bake-ware dish into the Egg and roast until internal temperature of 118 degree F is achieved. Once temp has been achieved remove the roast from Egg and cover with heavy-duty foil. Don’t remove probe. [p]Turn up the heat to 500 degrees. [p]While the foil covered roast is resting, it should continue to cook. When an internal temperature of 130 degrees F is reached place the roast back into the 500 degree F Egg for about 10 minutes or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve. [p]Remove extra grease form the juices in the glass pan. Place the pan over low heat and deglaze with 1 cup of water. Add the wine and reduce by half. Bruise sage leaves add to the sauce and cook for 1 minute. Strain and serve on the side. [p]Should take about 4 hours for a 4 bone roast.[p]Its the only way I will cook a roast.[p]Claudio

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]Below are 3 recipes that I have used and all are very good. My King of the Roast recipe is how I prepare my competition brisket.[p]Slow roasting is still the most ideal way to cook this cut..temps between 200-225º. HOWEVER, you need to first sear it over high heat...500-600º for about 10-15 minutes. This will get the Maillard reaction(carmelization) started and then you can back off the heat and finish cooking. Be sure to use some type of pan to catch your drippings....this cut renders quite a bit of fat.[p]The above method comes from Cook's Illustrated's most recent testing of cooking prime rib. It is now the only way I do it. The directions below are for stove top and oven cooking. I usually do mine on my grill and you can do the same on your EGG.[p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Standing Rib Roast [p]CHRIS'S HERBED ROAST
    2 tablespoon(s) Basil, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon Black pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Salt
    4 tablespoon(s) Olive oil[p]Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]
    MUSTARD PRIME RIB
    2 tablespoon(s) Black peppercorns
    2 tablespoon(s) Mustard seed
    1/2 cup Mustard, whole grain
    2 tablespoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh[p]Crush the pepper and mustard seeds. Mix all together into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.[p]
    KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS
    Worcestershire sauce or A1 Sauce
    Horseradish, prepared
    Yum Yum Steak Seasoning(recipe below)[p]Slather on sauce, then apply horseradish and finally sprinkle with seasoning. Let sit overnight.[p]
    Cooking instructions for all above recipes: Allow roast to come to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 200º. In a large roasting pan, on the stove top over 2 burners, brown the rib roast on all sides. This will take about 8-10 minutes to do. About 1/2 cup of fat should render out during this process. Remove the roast from the pan and place a wire rack in the bottom of the pan. Set the roast on this rack. Place the roast in the oven and cook for 30 minutes per pound...it will take about 3 1/2 hours for a 7 pound roast. Meat temp should be around 125º for rare, 135º for medium rare. When removing from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes. This will allow the temp to go up another 5-10º and will allow the juices to re-distribute. [p]AUJUS DIPPING SAUCE[p]Add some beef broth or red wine to the foil pan, heat up and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture reduce by 1/2.[p]HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
    1/2 cup Sour cream
    2 tablespoon(s) Horseradish
    2 teaspoon(s) White pepper
    2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce[p]Mix all ingredients together and then chill.[p]
    Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning [p]4 tablespoon(s) Salt
    2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together and use on any beef.[p]Makes about 1/2 cup.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Stogie,
    when you talk about searing, are you doing that on the egg and then reducing air flow til it drops to 225-250? or are you searing on the stovetop or something?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    ribroast1.jpg
    <p />Porkchop:[p]I sear mine first then adjust the vents as if I was doing a low temperature cook. After the sear I let the roast stand bones down. Others prefer to cook first then sear last. Regardless, if you like your meat rare, consider removing at an internal of 118º or so and letting it rest for a few minutes prior to serving. The temperature will continue to rise a little and the juices will redistribute within the meat.
  • Porkchop
    Options
    djm5x9,
    so you're set up for a direct cook, no drip pan, or do you pull the roast and do the v-rack thang?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    ribroast5.jpg
    <p />Porkchop:[p]Direct cook with the bones down. I prefer rib roasts with bones but have done the boneless roasts the same way. Bones down just protects the meat a bit if you sear first.
    [/b]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Porkchop,[p]Looks like djm has you covered. I prepare this most often on my gasser where heat regulation is a bit easier. I never add smoke to this cut of meat, but that is a personal preference.[p]You can also sear it on the stove top according to the directions in the recipe and then move it to the Egg for your low and slow cooking.[p]You should use something to catch the drippings...especially if you want some AuJus.[p]Stogie
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Great looking pictures and a better looking hunk of meat. I can almost smell. Damn, that must have been good.
    New Bob

• Porkchop
    Options
    djm5x9, sir you are definitely a man after my own heart. i salute you! looks awesome!