Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan and ribs

smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
smokin some ribs tomorrow night, what should i put in my drip pan as far as liquids. also ive seen where most people smoke for around 3 hours at 225, but i read today in the bge recipe book about someone was smoking at 325-350 for 3 hours. any suggestions

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Depends on what kind of ribs. I usually cook at about 225-230 dome and if I am doing spares it takes almost 8 hrs to get them tender enough for me. I read the same thing you did and tried them at 3 hrs...tough tough tough. Everyone I have talked too has said at least 5 hrs and maybe 6. I am the only person I know who takes 8. As far as liquid in the pan, it's not really necessary but I do it because I just think it keeps the ribs from drying out too much. I use water.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Use a few those pages in the book with EVOO to light your egg.
    Most people cook between 4-6 hours. Depending on the ribs. Spares/country style/ baby backs.
    ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • smoke
    thanks jojo, i have 2 spares and 1 baby back. so your thinking around 8 hrs for spares and 3-4 on the baby backs at 225 you might be able to smell'em im just right down the road in olive branch
  • Firetruck
    Well as I said I have not heard of anyone else taking 8 hrs for spares but I'm trying to literally get the meat to fall off. I do try to trim them up like st louis style.
    Hey I was wondering if anyone else in the mid south area was posting. I'm glad to know there is someone close to bounce ideas off of.
    I'd like to go to an eggfest sometime to meet some of the nice people who have helped me here.
  • smoke
    i dont know of any others, but ive only been eggin for as month or so, but im the talk of the neighborhood, everyone wants to come eat. the last spares i cooked were at 225 for 3 hours with no drip pan. they were good but maybe a lil tough. probaly gonna shoot for 5 hours tomorrow. would you cook the baby backs that long to or wait an hour or 2 later before adding them
  • Firetruck
    The baby backs should go about 5 hrs. That was the first ribs I did and 3 hrs was not enough. If you are going direct will change things for you. Every time I've done them I used a platesetter with a drip pan on top of that then the grate. Only lately have I been using water in the pan.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Just my opinion, but i don't think 5 hrs at 225 is long enough in general to get spares done.

I do spares for 6-7 hours at 240-250 dome.

Sauced800.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Get a room.

Mike
  • Firetruck
    :huh: I don't get it.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Exactly the same thing happened to me.... 3 hrs as they suggest is TOUGH ...5 hrs. mostly ok....8 even better with the drip pan & in my case....red wine
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Don't worry about liquid in the pan, not necessary. Cook around 250 dome temp, indirect with platesetter and drip pan, spares usually go 6 hours or a little more, loin backs 5 to 5.5. I tried to make it complicated when I started, but have learned to get the fire to the right temp. put the ribs on, and leave it closed 'til the last hour or so and add sauce then if desired. I like a mix of peach and hickory chunks for smoke.
  • Car Wash Mike
    You're not asking for advice, you're talking to each other. :woohoo:

Mike
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I did spares on Sunday and used the 3-2-1 method. I had them on a rib rack on a piece of foil to keep the fat/juices off my plate setter. The 3-2-1 method, if you don't know, is 3 hours uncovered in smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour unwrapped again. I basted twice in the last hour to glaze with equal parts apple juice, apple cider vinegar & bbq sauce. I still twisted a bone or three to make sure that they easily pulled from the meat before I took them off the egg. I've never really cared for spares, but they were on sale for 1.99/#, and the egg is pure magic! ;) Anyway they turned out wonderful. Smokey, moist, & tender. I'll definitely do them again, especially using this method.
  • I do mine with no drip pan but I do like to give them a squirt or two of apple juice during the middle part of the cook. Also here lately I find my self adding a sauce towards the very end.

Lazydog B)