Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tuna help

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got about 20 lbs of fresh tuna. ive only cooked it once on the egg with soy, and wasabi paste. i need some suggestions for some sort of rub, kinda spicy.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I would suggest Dizzy Pig's Shaking the Tree's or Tsumani Spin if you have it.
  • smoke
    smoke Posts: 30
    Options
    dont think i can come up with that in mississippi
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Give the Tuna a chance to shine through..

Coat in Sesame Oil, and Sesame Seeds. Sear all sides. Tune needs to be serves very rare.

Then get online and order some Dizzy Pig rubs!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Like CW said, sesame oil if you have it - if not EVOO will work.

Sea salt or kosher salt, fresh black pepper, and sesame seeds.

All it takes is a quick sear on both sides.

TunaSteak.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Cracked Black Pepper is almost like bacon - Good on anything :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Without a doubt my favorite spice.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Hey Butt...may be too late but I did some ahi last week with this recipe and came out great!...
    Seared Ahi with Thai Dipping Sauce
    Description: This is so good, even my mother-in-law liked it!
    Ingredients:
    • 1/3 Cup fresh lime juice
    • 3 Tbs soy sauce
    • 1 Tbs fish sauce (in asian section of most grocery stores)
    • 2 tsp sugar
    • 1 tsp minced jalapeno pepper, with seeds
    • 4 sushi-quality Ahi tuna steaks, about 6 ounces each, and 1-½ inches thick
    • 1 Tbs cracked white peppercorns
    • 1 Tbs sesame seeds
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • vegetable oil

Instructions: For the dipping sauce:
    In small bowl, whisk together first five ingredients. Divide sauce into four small individual serving bowls (each guest gets their own!)
    For the rub: In a saute pan over medium heat, combine white peppercorns, sesame seeds and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sesame seeds are lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.

lightly brush the tuna steaks with veg oil. Sprinkle on the rub, gently pressing the spices into the flesh.

Grill steaks over VERY high heat (650-700 degrees) just until the surface is well marked - approximately 2 minutes per side (NOT more - if anything, less). The center should still be red. DO NOT overcook. Serve immediately.
    Notes: I know it seems strange to leave fish "rare." But that's why you're getting really fresh, good tuna to start with! Just try it this way once...you won't need convincing the next time!
    AhiTunanTaters003.jpg