Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to put a new gasket on my egg and wanted to know if there is anything special about doing it. I know to get all the stuff from the old gasket off with a scraper of some sort.

Does the new gasket have an adhesive on the back and/or should I purchase an additional adhesive to put with it?

Thanks,
John

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The standard felt gasket comes with an adhesive on the back. You might want to double the gasket in half so you can cut it precisely in half. You will have several inches left over so, don't stretch it when you apply it, just lay it down. If you got one of the new nomex gaskets, then someone else will be able to help you.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I just put my first gasket on this weekend and I don't know if I did it right yet, because it hasn't seen many cooks yet. It was the original felt gasket and I tried not to stretch it but I found that I would try to keep the gasket about a 1/8" of the inside corner of the top ring and would lay it only focusing on making the inside stick, then went back and laid the width of the gasket flat. It is a bit weird making a something that is manufactured in a straight line, go with the curve of your egg. You will see.
    Good Luck!
  • Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to cut it in half.

I'll just hope the straight gasket will curve nicely!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The easiest way I've found to remove the old gasket is to heat it with a propane torch, and as it burns/bubbles up, scrape with a putty knife. Then I use a single edge razor to scrape away any adhesive residue. Last one took about 12 minutes to do top and bottom.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    When you take the paper backing off, the gasket goes around the bend very nicely. So, pull back a foot or so, gently lay the gasket down (resist the urge to pull it tight) and then pull more paper off and continue around the edge. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz