Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you cook Shrimp ? Need recipe for tonight ?

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Looking for favorite Shrimp recipes for the egg. Time, temp, etc. I just bought about 2 pounds at Harris Teeter - they had it on sale for $5 a pound, and I couldn't resist.[p]Thanks![p]- Mike

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    If you can get all the stuff for this, you'll love them.[p]STEP 1. Run down to the local sausage store (if you don’t make you own) and buy some Andouille Sausage (it’s pronounced AND-DO-EE).
    STEP 2. Buy shrimp (raw, size large 15 – 20 per lb.) and some sliced bacon.
    STEP 3. Go home.
    STEP 4. Wash the shrimp.
    STEP 5. Soak the shrimp in a brine bath of 1/3 cup kosher or sea salt, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 qt cold water.
    STEP 6. Drink some beer (you have to wait an hour for the shrimp to soak up the brine so they don’t dry out when cooking)
    STEP 7. Cut sausage into bite size pieces.
    STEP 8. Remove shrimp from brine and lightly season with Cajun spice and Cayenne pepper
    STEP 9. Skewer shrimp (wrapped in bacon) with kabob skewer and separate by sausage.
    STEP 10. Cook’em over a direct medium heat (say about 300) They’re done when the bacon and sausage are done (shrimp cooks fast, that’s why we soaked them)

• Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Really super easy and very tasty recipe that I throw together for large shrimp now and then is to simply wrap them in prosciutto and grill over high heat ~450 - 500 until the prosciutto is a bit crispy and the prawns are done but not overcooked. They'll continue to cook a bit after you take them off.[p]Serve with cocktail sauce or just lemon wedges.[p]Seattle Todd

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Man, those are some darn good recipes. I do 'em a little simpler. Marinate in olive oil and garlic for about an hour, then cook them over medium heat until the shells turn red and turning as needed. If you have a grill wok it's even easier to cook them. Never seem to have many left overs, but if you do we like to then make shrimp fettucini alfredo. Course, if you have the sauce and pasta ready you could do that first. ;-)[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Peel the shrimp and place in a bowl with enough olive oil to coat. Add cajun spices, fresh garlic, a dash of worchestershire, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Oh, maybe a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Let it marinate for an hour, two or three.[p]Chop up and onion, green pepper, red pepper, squash and zucchini (or any combination) and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook in a veggie basket on the egg until almost done. I cook at about 400 degrees over direct heat.[p]Lastly, add the shrimp. Stir every minute or two. The shrimp will only need about 5 minutes to cook.[p]You may also add smoked sausage to the veggies -- delicious![p]good luck.[p]Bama Fire

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Blackend. I just heat the BGE up and put my black iron skillet on the grill. When its good and hot I throw the shrimp, seasoned with Zatarains liquid crab boil and Tonys.[p]Never had leftovers. I just passed a guy selling fresh shrimp for $2.75/lb.....15 count.[p]My favorite is boiled.....haven't tried it on the egg yet. [p]
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />Bama Fire,[p]Thanks to all for the feedback. I saved every recipe, but I ended up trying a variation of Bama Fire's recipe. Here is what I did:[p]Put unpeeled shrimp in a bowl with enough olive oil to coat. Add cajun spices, fresh garlic, a dash of worchestershire, and fresh squeezed lemon juice, a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, and a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Marinated for 30 minutes or so - longer would have been better.[p]Put shrimp (only shrimp - I didn't have the other stuff on hand) on skewers and cooked at 350 for about 7 minutes, turning once.[p]They turned out GREAT.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_24_9918_55_01.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike, I know it's too late for tonight, but...[p][p]
    [ul][li]Shrimp[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, in a word. Brine! [p]A little trick I learned was to brine the shrimp like you might a chicken or turkey. My advice is to cook them anyway you like, shell on or off, dry spice or marinade; but use brine.[p]It's real simple and will make them absolutely delicious. [p]Ingredients
     ½ cup kosher salt,
     ½ cup sugar
     5 cups of water[p]Directions
    1. Heat water until warm and remove from heat.
    2. Add salt and sugar and stir until dissolved.
    3. Let the brine cool.
    4. Place shrimp in a container, add enough cooled brine to cover all shrimp and refrigerate for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
    5. Pour out the brine and quick rinse shrimp under cold tap water.
    6. Cook anyway you like.[p]The next time you cook shrimp try a little taste test. Cook some shrimp brined and some not.
    You won’t believe the difference! [p]regards, C18666V

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Glad you enjoyed them! Great pic.

• Unknown
    Options
    South O.
    Agreed. Brine is the way to go!