Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain

cigarstock
cigarstock Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still learning from you pros.
Will rain crack porcelain if grilling steaks?

Thanks
Rick

Comments

• cigarstock
    Thanks so much.

Rick
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Are you grilling steaks on a toilet bowl?I don't understand your ????
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    doug , you been hittin the adult beverages??? :laugh: :laugh:
    seriously how are your hands and fingers???
    bill
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    i didn't catch the porcelain/ ceramic mix-up. Cooking on a toilet wouldn't be fun.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Yes I have bill.You got a problem with that :lol: :silly: I still can't get that chocolate stuff off of my hands though :silly: :laugh: :);)
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    I have grilled steaks wearing a raincoat while liquid was falling from the sky, no cracks in the porcelain/ceramic.
    Hope this helps.

Mike
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    I told you NP-27 would take that stuff off your hands!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:
  • lowercasebill
    me ???? have a problem with adult beverage consumption??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    the chocolate is easily removed by the 'significant other" or family pet.
    i better stop now. :evil:
    looks like you all had a great time. nice to spend time with "your own kind"
    bill
  • lowercasebill
    hopefully some of our northern tier of states or canadian eggers will chime in here.. these guys post pics of cooking on the egg in the snow when the temp is well into the minus digits. even here in s.e. pa i have fired up the egg in zero degree weather. a little rain won't hurt . a lot may need a rain cap .
    bill
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I had the large at 450 and the medium at 550 today in a major downpour.

No issues. Not the first time either, I can assure you.
  • cigarstock
    Escuuuse me Doug. Sorry. Thanks to all for the help
    Rick
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bill,

You mean like this?

100_0388.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    there are three possible answers:

1.) we don't know. of the 100,000+ eggs ever sold, amazingly, none have ever been in use when it started to rain

2.) yes, they explode when they are hot and then suddenly get rained on, and yet people still buy them for some reason

3. no

which do you think it might be?

(welcome aboard!) by the way, that was irony, not sarcasm. sarcasm is irony with malice aforethought.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lowercasebill
    that's the one . thanks !!!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Since we don't have statistics, we're stuck with anecdotes:

I believe that my first even problem with the egg may have been due in part to the violent thunderstorm last night. I'd just finished cooking the second pizza at 550 when it hit. I shut the draft door, replaced the daisy wheel with the ceramic cap and ran to the house with the pizza (thin crust, sausage, and very good).

The heavy rain only lasted 5 minutes but it was hard enough to obscure my view of the shed 60 feet from the house and send a foot high wall of water down the street in front of the house. (We're used to this here and have a berm to keep the water out of the basement.) Then the power went out until 10:00.

This morning I went out to survey the damage. I found the dome of the egg stuck shut and a sizable gap (~3/16") between the base and the dome back by the hinge. that wasn't there a few days ago. I can't swear that the gap increased due to the rapid cooling from the rain, but I do know that this was the first time the dome stuck, and I've had the egg to to 650 with no trouble.

Since the gasket is shot anyway, I worked a couple of thin putty knives around the dome and freed it with little difficulty. We're having a shower now so I came back into the house to spatchcock the chicken. When it stops raining I'll go out and loosen the bolts and see if I can close up the gap. (I already put heavy zip ties in the hinge.)