Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib help

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying to cook ribs and not doing well with it. The ribs at both ends of the rack are over done.

I cook spare ribs. Flat on the grill - no rib rack. I cook at 250-260 dome. I don't foil. Cook takes around 6 hours. I usually flip over and end-to-end after 3-4 hours.

My setup:
ribs
grill
drip pan
plate setter - legs up

It seems like there is too much heat coming up around the plate setter... Should I lower the temp? Would that take too long? Any thing else to try?

I have more ribs to try this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Scott

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if your meat can "see" the coals (by hanging over the platesetter), they are cooking direct.

remember that even though the dome temp is 250, charcoal burns at 1200. if your meat can see the coals, it is receiving the radiant energy, not the air-carried energy.

the sun may only heat the air around us to 75 degrees, but the radiant energy of a few million degrees has travelled across the vaccuum of space, and will give you a second degree burn if you aren't careful.

whether you sear a steak or cold smoke bacon, your lump is at 1200 (or more)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    In simple terms. Your cooking direct on the ends.
    1210spares1.jpg
    I have posted my number numerous tmes if you need help.

Mike
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Scott,

You can see my sad tale of first rib cook down a page or so. I have to ask: not counting the overdone ends, how were the ribs in the middle?
  • Scott
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try cutting them down so they don't get close to the edge of the plate setter.
  • Scott
    Options
    Thanks. Looking at your picture - are you using foil at the top and bottom (do circles have a top and bottom?) to increase the area of indirect grill space?

Scott
  • Scott
    Options
    I was happy with the flavor. I wasn't real happy with the texture. But good taste.

I'll scroll down and read your thread.

Scott
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i lay pan of aluminum foil that i've crimped together on top of the platesetter. that hangs over the edges a bit and blocks any lump while still allowing plenty of airflow
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Scott
    Options
    Stike,

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at Carwash Mike's picture (below) it looks like he uses foil too.

The ribs went on at noon today. Based on the picture I laid down a layer of heavy duty foil from front to back. I ran it from the back lip of the egg to the front lip. So there will be no airflow at the front and back - only on the sides. Hope I didn't block too much flow. I've had no problem holding at 250*. We'll see how that works for this cook and adjust from there.