Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket replacement ?

Options
MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL egg and I've used it probably a dozen times or so in the past month and a half.

The gasket is burned on the inside of it all around the ring. The lid's gasket isn't as bad. When I smoked pork butts a couple weeks ago I was seeing smoke come out the back near the hinges too, so I think some adjustments and possibly a replacement gasket is in order.

I've only attemtped a couple high-temp cooks, but the primary cooking has been butt's and ribs. Is it possible that the egg was setup poorly to begin with or did I probably just burn the gasket having the lid open for to long with some of the high-heat cooks?

If I have to replace the gasket, do I have to take the dome off to do the dome's gasket? Also, when people say tighten the screws around the dome, does that mean tighten all of them or one or two in particular? The screws are bent slightly so I assume the intial setup was probably tight enough.

I've read that a razor-blade and some acetone work real well to remove the old gasket, any other suggestions out there?

Lots of questions so I apologize for the choppy message!

Thanks,
John

Rochester, MN

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    John,

My experience is with the large and smaller. Depending on how bad the burn is you may not 'have' to replace the gasket. Now when this happened to me and I asked the same question it really bothered me that when I was told the same thing.

After replacing two gaskets and thinking I needed to replace a third I learned to accept what others told me and so far I am using the samed burned gasked and my egg works fine for low temp and high temp cooks. I do get some smoke release but it is not much and I can easily hold 225° if I want to cook that low of a temp.

It is important that there is not an air leak at the gasket level. If there is then adjustments need to be done. Use the 'dollar bill' test between the dome and egg to test for tightness.

Others will jump in with bolt tightness on the XL.

Removing the gasket for me, on the large did not require dome removal although it would have been easier to remove the dome.

I found that using a stiff paint scraper and 'Goof Off' worked very well. Acetone did not work very well at all for me. I did use acetone for final cleanning around the ceramics before installing the new gasket.

If you ending up using a razor blade of types or a scraper with an sharp edge make sure you don't mar the ceramic surface.

GG
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks Grandpas Grub. I should have mentioned that the temp control on the last cook was difficult (on a pork but). I attributed it mostly to the absolute lack of wind! There was just no dang wind to keep that thing happy. I could still keep it between 200-250 the whole time, but much more of a struggle.

I'll take your advice and try the goof off with a scraper. The scraper sounds better than a razor blade to me anyway. The dollar bill test shows its a little loose on the rear of the egg near the hinge. Maybe I can just tighten it to see how it goes, I'd rather not hassle with the gasket already if I don't have too.

Thanks,
    John
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I when I replaced my gasket on my large I used acetone to remove the residual from the old gasket. I also removed the dome. I would not remove the dome unless I was resetting the dome to the bottom, which I was doing as mine was not assembled properly.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    John,

"wind"?

Again, I haven't used an XL so keep that in mind. The egg should keep temps for you with or without 'wind' and really should not require any type 'wind' to heat up.

With that said, keeping an egg below 225° for a long steady cook does require some good fire building and starting on the large and smaller. Generaly I will do my low & slo's between 260° and 275° dome.

When I want to cook lower than 250° dome I will generally use the DigiQ2 or the Stoker. The eggs are more than capable of doing low temps without power vent systems. I'm just lazy and or like to play with the toys.

If the dollar bill test pulls easily or is loose then adjustments need to be made. I have found that a small tug is fine.

Looking at my gasket, it is horrible, but the egg still cooks fine. Others have said their gaskets are non existant and they cook just fine. For me the test is being able to hold a good solid low tempeture smoke leaking or not.

I do have a BGE Nomex gasket which I will be installing when a get a round tuit. (around to it).

Kent
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    John,

I have the XL and had a gasket problem with it burning up at high temps when used my plate setter and pizza stone. I did make some minor adjustments to the lid after my first gasket burnt. I used a old wood chisel as a scraper, I found it was a little stiffer and it didn't take as much effort to get the old one off. I also used a sponged sanding pad to get the surface really clean before putting the new gasket on. Is your lid the same size as the bottom? The reason I ask is that mine is a little smaller than the bottom. I have a call into the Mothership to see if this is normal. Hope this helps.

Jimmy
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    This is all great advice. I really appreciate all the input. I think the first thing I'll do is make some minor adjustments to the bolts to make sure everything is tight.

Kent I think my theory of wind may be off according to what you are saying. I know that the fire I built probably wasn't the greatest, not up to the Naked Whiz's spec's on his site. But it did keep me in the range long enough to cook the food just fine. Believe it or not, the two pork butt's cooked faster when I was hovering closer to 200 than when I had it consistenly at 230 for the previous cook. I guess each piece of meat is different and the plateaus can go longer/shorter.

Jimmy, I'd be curious about the size difference on the egg's bottom and dome. I never thought to investigate that yet. I had a pizza attempt that was my worst green egg experience yet, but I'll try again some day.

Chef In the Making, i hope I can avoid removing the dome since I do believe it was probably assembled properly. I think any errors I'm having are user errors! But I can admit it and live with it as long as I keep turning out good BBQ. :)
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    With the back of the dome aligned perfectly, the front is set back about 1/4" by the handle. I haven't had any trouble cooking low and as I said the only time I had gasket issues was when I had it blazing hot or with the pizza stone over the plate setter.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you had a fire continue through the cook, it was a good fire so don't beat yourself up over the fire.

I have cooked butt at 400° testing a fast & hot cook and it works good and tastes good. There is a little noticable difference in the rendering of the fat in that cook. I was also told that the results will vary more cooking it fast. Since then I have done low & slow.

Meat's will cook different times. It took me a while to learn that everything doesn't have to be exact to any given recipe or technique. For me it is pretty hard to screw up a cook on the egg - I really have to work at it to mess things up.

Cleaning off your gasket... I was talking to BGE about a gasket problem I had and was told not to use power tools or anything that will alter the surface of the ceramics or it will void the warranty. The two surfaces are hand 'ground' to match within extremely tight tolarances. I can't rember the exact tolarance that was told to me but it was in the small thousanth's of an inch.

If using a BGE gasket (Nomex preferably) I was told to use 3M Super 77.

Kent
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    All my low-and-slow cooks have been wonderful, the high-heat pizza was a scorched masterpiece. Not to mention the stench of burning cornmeal made me lose my appetite! I'll get this issue resolved and continue on my qwest to make good BBQ. Thanks for all the feedback everybody.

John
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    You will know if the dome is on corectly after you remove the old gasket. You will see spaces between the dome and bottom
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There has been some talk a while back on the forum about folks cooking their pizza at 800° to 1000°.

First of all I think it is nuts to take an egg that high dome temp and secondly I would think the entire ceramics would have to be stabilized before something like that would even have a chance of working.

On my large I can get a pizza to cook at about 450° dome but that temp some on the pizza's are not cooked on top before the bottom begins to scorch. I am thinking what my problem is, is that I don't have the egg completely up to temp, including the dome.

As you can see there are a lot of folks that are turning out nice pie's so it is matter of some testing. But, I agree burning corn meal is the pretty bad.

Instead of corn meal use parchment paper, a lot of folks use it for cookies etc.

Kent
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    I haven't seen stuff on pizza's being cooked that hot. I only cooked it around 450, but I had placed it directly on the plate setter without a pizza stone. I only owned a Pampered Chef stone and had read that they will break on the egg. Oh well, I learned a lesson that I indeed need a pizza stone, or at least I thought that would have helped. I'll have to look into getting some parchment paper. I had the problem you mentioned as well, the bottom was horribly burned but the top was actually cooked just about perfect. So a few more attempts and I'll probably get a method down. The edges that weren't burnt tasted great.

John, I think I'll see if some dome screw tightening will help my problem before I replace the gasket. If I do end up replacing it I'll check for the gap between the bottom and the dome.

Thanks again everybody!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I think my stone is a pampered chef also or just some store bought pizza stone.

From what I have read put a space on the inverted plate setter between the setter and pizza stone. Some folks are using 1/2" copper pipe 90 or 45° "L's", some use balled tin foil. I have access to some kiln furnature and I use 1/2" or 1" stand off's. All the options will accomplish the same thing.

I woudl think the heat transfer to the setter then the stone would almost be like one thick piece of ceramic that you are cookin the pizza on. With a space it would give some air/heat flow underneith the pizza stone.

When you try it again just get a frozen bake at home pizza with thick topping and give it a try. Watch your crust and cook unitil dark brown or just beginning of blackening - like the pizza joints do. The top should take care of itself once you have estabilished the correct temp for your setup.

The parchment paper will be available in rolls right next to the wax paper in the grocery store. Same type box, just pull off and tear what you need. You might want to cut if a bit round for the stone but leave enough to pull when you put the peel under the pizza, or what ever you use to get the pizza off the stone.

BTW check you clearance's anyway - good or bad gasket. It is a good idea to know.

GG
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    That's a great idea to put a space between the stones. I'll look into that! I really enjoyed how the edges of my destroyed pizza tasted with the smokey flavor. Definitely gonna try it all again.

Thanks