Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco: Cedar Planks & Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Ovens

Hot Stuff
Hot Stuff Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
went by my local costco today (sandy springs/atlanta) and found cedar grilling planks and lodge cast iron dutch ovens at a great price.....

grilling planks....9 canadian cedar planks, 16" x 7" x 5/16", under $9.00

Lodge cast iron oven....4.5 qt., 10 1/4" lid, pre-seasoned, different style from one in BGE catalogue, under $24.00

Comments

• Kaila
    Kaila Posts: 9
    picked some up the other week. Sawed them in half to have smaller sized ones. Placed a brie cheese package on it and heated it about 10 min until it was soft inside. YUM, YUM. Around what section did you see the lodge cast iron ? I've never seen them, maybe they have't made it to Hawaii yet.

Thanks for sharing.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I love Costco. My Costco Amex card is my main ID! It says who I am in life. I am a hard capitalist Costco shopper. Ooooh I love America. I...I think I'll go to Costco today!

mShark
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I'll meet you there!!

I never leave home without my Costco Card where else do you get gas $0.10 below everyone else?

Don't leave home without my Sam's or BJ's card ebber!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You did that in your new egg we assume??
  • Kaila
    Kaila Posts: 9
    The brie in the egg , absolutely. A friend came over wanted to see the egg and try the cedar plank, so we made it in the egg.
    So now I'll probably put on 10 pounds just on the brie alone.
    kaila
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I don't do a Sams and what is a BJ? We don't have him around here. Do I need to move immediately???

mSharque
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if you want about five year's worth of cedar planks for cheep ca$h, just go to your local big-box hardware store and buy UNTREATED cedar shingles. the worse grade you buy, the cheaper. i got a brown paper grocery bag of under-coursing shingles for about 2 or 3 dollars. they are 16" long. i score the thin end with a blade and snap it off, leaving 12 to 14" and then soak for an hour or so.

they are absolutelty safe to use. there is nothing magic about cedar planks at william sonoma, and the hardware store ones are NOT treated during production with anything, unless they are sold as "treated" (whether for rot or fire ).

you will get tired of smoking over cedar before you use them all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    A few years back Costco had cast iron sets with frying pan, dutch oven and double burner sized two sided cast iron grill/griddle. IIRC it was in the 40 dollar range, was a great investment.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Great idea, thanks for posting that. We don't plank very often, but easy cheap way to stock up.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    We use a lot of 5/8"X6"X6' cedar fence pickets here in Houston. I doubt that they are treated with anything. Go for about $2.69 each. Would make at least 6 planks. (45¢ each). Your's sounds even less pricy.

Spring "Cheep Cheep Is A Good Sound Here At The Chicken Ranch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the good thing about shingles is that they are graded. they won't have any treatment on them unless they say they do, and you'd pay a premium. the other thing that helps avoid pressure treating or other chemicals is that the lower grade you buy (i got "underlay" shingles, so bad, they aren't meant to be seen), the sooner they are taken out of the process. no one is going to let crappy shingles go on to the fungicide treatment process and then pull them out at the end.

kind of nice not having to worry.

i just shake my head at those frikkin williams sonoma planks. what was it? FOUR planks, 15x7x1/4" thick at $15?

that's about THIRTY DOLLARS a board foot, roughly.
    they ought to add a stupid tax for that!.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante