Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tippy Egg

geralds34
geralds34 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received my Large Egg, and setup in a red cedar table that I built, resting the egg on a 16x16 concrete paver. The egg is rock solid when the dome is closed, but fells like it wants to tip back when I open it up - is this normal? The paver has a pattern on it that is supposed to look like brick, and I had to lay 2x4 under the paver to achieve the proper height for the hinges to clear, but I can't see that making the egg tippy. Also, the table is setting on a concrete patio, and that area of the patio has a slight angle to it, probably 1 inch in 4 feet, that shouldn't affect it.

Is this normal, or should I take fire box and ring out, dome off, and pull the egg to look at the bottom off the egg for un-evenness?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    one foot in the back, center. two in the front at third points. welcome aboard
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • geralds34
    Not using the feet, just resting in the paver.
  • I believe what he meant was if you use the 3 feet that was supposed to come with the Egg it would solve your problem. But a large on a 16 incher has no room dead center in back for a foot. At least mine does not.
  • Spoofer
    Spoofer Posts: 31
    What exactly is tipping. Is the table tipping, the egg only, or is it the egg AND the stone/paver.
  • geralds34
    Only the egg is tipping,when the dome is opened.

When the egg was delivered, we used the 3 feet on top of the paver, and it was wobbly, so we removed them and used just the paver.

I had the GF open/close the egg a couple times, and watched the lower shelf and paver, and there is no movement there, just the base of the egg tips a bit.

I am going to remove egg from the table, and see if the egg is flat on bottom, and try an 18x18 paver. Maybe the current paver has a little bump on it.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    You should rethink not using the feet.

There have been a number of stories/posts here on the forum about stones & pavers that get hot and break.

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • geralds34
    Braddog wrote:
    You should rethink not using the feet.

There have been a number of stories/posts here on the forum about stones & pavers that get hot and break.

Cheers,
    Braddog

Agreed - I want the feet, as I am in Ottawa, and want to use the egg in the winter, which is when paver cracking is most likely due to temperatures variances.

Whats the easiest way to remove the Dome - just loosen the top band, and have the plastic bars locking the hinge closed?
  • Spoofer
    If you have wheels on that table or an easy means to move the whole thing, I would eliminate that patio grade by moving onto a level surface (concrete garage floor). Those lids are heavy and not designed for whipping open and closed. Do you have a spring loaded lid?
  • greetings. How about a couple 4" bathroom tiles under the back legs of table? how 'bout some firebrick under the egg?
  • Spoofer
    Yea, he could use the tiles, or something like that. My point was that from the ground up he's not playing on a level field. But the tiles, or some such, would be a good idea just to figure out the problem. Good suggestion.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Use the feet.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • geralds34
    Tried the feet, and it seems worse.

Put the egg on the patio, those slabs have been there 15 years, felt the same. Put the carpenter square against the egg base, and it flat. I must be just opening it a little more forcefully than I should, and get a little bump when the hinges are at full extension.

This thing get really heavy taking in and out of the table to try different things.

Here are some pics to give you an idea what the table is like;

http://geralds34.smugmug.com/gallery/5071993_gDMu4#305313123_PQ6rx
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Is your egg level?
    Looking at pic 3 it looks as if the egg is leaning back slightly relative to the top shelf.
    Try the spirit level across the egg and cosider something under the back of those timbers under the paver as an easy(ish) test.
    It may just be the way the photo looks, also if your egg is higher than it was your arm action won't steady it as much at full extent.
    Good luck!
    Nice table btw!
  • geralds34
    I'll out the level on the paver, and across the felts tonight. The table is 32 inches hi, and I needed to add the 2x4 under the paver to get clearance for the hinge - or I could cut out the hole slightly larger, and notch the rear table top, but I don't think that would improve things. Used it last night, and it did not seem as bad as I originally thought.