Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini BGE

Options
ddog27
ddog27 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been having a great time cooking on my large BGE and I was thinking I should start using my mini BGE. My question is what can you do with the mini? Is it just a small grill or can you smoke meat on it?

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i did 2.5 lbs of beef ribs for 5 hours , controlling the grease was an issue temp control was not
    pics of other mini stuff .....

smokedcheeseandchicken001.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken002.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken003.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken004.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken008.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    smokedcheeseandchicken010.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken011.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken012.jpg

sliced immediatly and put in a buckboard bacon cream sauce served over noodles and spinach
    smokedcheeseandchicken017.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I got my mini just a short while ago and I really love it.

Here there is just my wife and i most ofthe time. I don't have any need for portability.

When we have 3 or 4 of your younger grandchildren here I can do a cook on the mini pretty easily for all of us.

I have not tried to do any smoking wiht the mini yet. The fire pit is pretty small. I have had a burn go about 3 hours and expect I could maintain a low temp for 4 ro 5 hours possibly longer, just haven't tried it as of yet.

The largest thing I have cooked on the mini is 5 pretty larg ears of corn. It was crowded in there but it did a great job. I have seen Fred's video of doing a whole chicken.

I have done a lot of grilling type stuff and some smoking but with items that will complete in 2 to 4 hours. Where I have the other sizes I don't seem much sense, for me, of trying the longer cooks.

Right now I have been using it more than any of my other eggs. I have entertaining the thought of selling either my medium or small.

For me it is extremely easy and fast to get it going and up to temp, high temps are no problem. It always amazes me how little lump goes into it.

If I had any input on the design I would like to see a little more clearence underneith the fire grate to the bottom and a little deeper fir pit (for more lump).

If you are looking for another egg to complement the large and be able to do different temp cooks I would probably recomend a medium or small. In the same breath, for me the mini has been great and I would recomend it.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Steaks:

SteaksCooking.jpg

Leftover Prime Rib:

ReheatedSteakSear.jpg

Salmon:

Done2.jpg

Chicken:

Cooking800.jpg

Tuna:

TunaSteak.jpg
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Play with temp control on the Mini. Mine can get away from me much quicker than the Lg. I've had the little dickens up to 700º in heartbeat.

After a lot of practice I can get to 350º - 375º and hold it as long as I pay attention. It's a lot of fun.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    i absolutely knew you would jump in on this post bill. you're the best on the mini.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks did you catch fidel's post earlier on the skinless boneless chicken breasts???
    if not, please do. it is on my list for next week