Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange Thing

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This page contains about 108 posts, not including the ever expanding list of WMK updates, accounting for approximately the past 7 hours of forum activity. When you click on the Last 25 Posts link, it contains well over 500 posts. Couldn't some bandwidth be recycled by limiting the Last 25 Posts to ohh, I dunno, let's say 25 maybe? Then using it to expand the first page of the main forum to a more user friendly length?

And how about those banners and such at the top of the page, couldn't they be reserved for the home page thus freeing up about 2 full screen lengths for the forum?

Since the index list has been shortened, Page 1 loads no faster for me than it did before, not that it took very long at all, but waiting for Page 2 or any subsequent pages affords the opportunity to play a complete game of FreeCell. I would think this is fairly common, which would explain why most topics are dead once they reach page 2. 6 or 7 hours is not much time when you consider that under the Old Forum, many discussions went on for 2 or even 3 days under the same thread.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Quote:
    "6 or 7 hours is not much time when you consider that under the Old Forum, many discussions went on for 2 or even 3 days under the same thread."

I agree with this.

For me, today and tonight the pages are loading in 1 to 1.5 seconds - 2 seconds on the outside.

GG
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Citizen Q,

The content of the last25 or the home page has nothing whatever to do with the main forum index. And, even if you haven't complained about the speed (and that would be about the only thing you haven't complained about), many others have complained about it. Plus, we are working to determine if reducing the size of the index will help the server's memory usage -- no verdict yet.

The banners at the top of the page have been made collapsable which does return the space to the forum -- I suppose if you actually read the "ever expanding list of WMK updates" that you'd know that.

B.T.W. that "ever expanding" list indicates work in progress -- even if it isn't the work you'd like to see. Soon we'll be adding the "tip jar" as some have suggested; and, perhaps we'll prioritize each suggestion by the number of $$$ contributed by those requesting it -- this will of course, include zero.

Thank you for your support.
  • WMK
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,

I agree with you, I preferred the longer index also -- though this is the default length for the original software -- I bumped it up by a factor of four to make it look more like the old forum. It does load noticeably faster for me.

I must say though, that the volume of over 500 posts a day has remained the same, even with the shorter index. And, we improved the "return to index" feature so that it works on all index pages instead of just the first one.

You might also try the "Active threads first" ordering option which will keep active posts on page one longer. It's now easy to switch between them using the link at the top of the index page.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt quotes (American 26th US President (1901-09), 1858-1919)

we'll look forward to your contributions in the tip-jar. :angry:
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Amen, brother.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Give me a break, you are writing code for an obsolete format, not charging up San Juan Friggin Hill, jerky.
    Are you saying that if I contribute money you will all of a sudden become capable of doing your job?
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    I wait a good long time in between my complaints, erroneously thinking that would afford you the time to actually fix something.
  • WMK
    Options
    The point of the quote was simply that complaining is easy; and, critics are a dime a dozen, and, not worth that.

A "job" implies compensation. The only compensation WPB gets for what he does here is complaints like this one for the most part; though, occasionally at least some folks express appreciation -- you're not one of those though.

Some of our members manage to voice their issues is a positive manner. Why can't you? Or do you simply enjoy caustic, sarcastic, comments?

It's too bad people like you aren't an "obsolete format" -- the world would certainly be a better place; and, so would this forum. I cannot police the world; however, I suggest you turn it down a notch or two or three.
  • WMK
    Options
    Like I said to Grandpas Grub, who manages somehow to express his opinion in a civil manner, I prefer the longer index format as well. It is however, notably faster refreshing the shorter index pages. We have had other complaints about slow response times which just goes to show that it's truly impossible to please everyone.

You might try the "Active threads first" option, recently added to the index, which will order the threads by their most recent response times instead of the time of the original post. This should help to keep the active threads on the first (or perhaps the second) page.

It really isn't that hard to click the "2" or "3", when reaching the bottom of the current, shorter, index. Plus, most "modern" formats (i.e. those that aren't "obsolete") show *much* less information that the old "classic" index format; so, shortening the index brings this forum more inline with "modern" standards.

Moreover, the shorter index format has not so far slowed down posts which are still coming in at over 500 every day.

I think we'll add a "complaint department" format category. It will cost money to post there; and, we'll simply delete and ignore complaints posted elsewhere -- especially caustic, sarcastic, ones.