Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best way to cook a Top Sirloin Roast.

BBQ1
BBQ1 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook a Top Sirloin Roast. :blink:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    when i end up with one i will cook it this way::

Beef, Steak, Sirloin, Red Eye Cow Lick Top, Nature Boy

For the Eggfest I cooked a couple large top sirloin steaks from Costco. Top sirloins are not the tender fatty cuts like porterhouses, rib steaks, NY strips or tenderloins. They are a little less tender, but full of good beef flavor. And at $3.79 for Choice grade, I choose these a lot! These guys were 2 inches thick...and one was close to 3....kinda like a little mini roast!

Ingredients
    top sirloin steaks - two inches thick
    Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak rub
    Dizzy's Red Eye Express Rub
    1/2 cup olive oil

Procedure
    1 The day before, lightly trim the steaks and put in a large ziplock with a half cup or so of good olive oil.
    2 About an hour before the cook, I coated heavily with rub....one with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak rub and the other with Dizzy's Red Eye Express.
    3 Based on the thickness of the steaks, and the fact that the Red Eye rub has sugar in it, I opted for a sear at around 600 degrees over an established glowing bed of orange coals.
    4 About 4 minutes a side gave me the sear I wanted,
    5 then I moved the steaks (mini roasts!) to the front of the cooker, which at the time was the coolest part of the cooker. Closed the bottom vent and cooked around ten minutes.
    6 A finger test revealed the 2 incher was done...pulled it off and a WooDoggies thermapen check said 128...perfect. But the thicker piece (3") still a bit squishy and went another 10 minutes.
    7 Rest 15 minutes, then slice thin against the grain and serve. At the Eggfest this was served with nothing but the juice on the plate.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Chris Capell, AKA "Nature Boy"

Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb