Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef vs Pork Ribs

Options
HungryNephew
HungryNephew Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a Memorial Day BBQ at my house and my guests include some much more observant MOT's than myself. I am thinking about doing beef ribs instead of pork. Is there a difference in cooking methods? Stupid question time - Is there such as baby back vs spare when it comes to beef?

Thanks!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Yes and no, I do beef ribs for 5-6 hours indirect at 250 dome, they do take up more space than pork type ribs. there are 7 bones to a full rack of beef ribs. Beef ribs with meat on them are harder to find.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did this batch last year and sometimes have them cut down the middle and sometimes not. Treat like BB's just cook longer 6-7 hours. rub and sauce your choice. usually do not foil.

Beef, Ribs, Short, Richard Fl

Procedure:
    1 Just pulled 5#'s about an hour ago. Individual ribs about 2-3"s long..Covered with a rib rub, Garlic herb and black pepper. refrigerated overnight.
    2 Cranked up large 7 AM and started to do indirect at 250F for 6 hours. Threw a handful of pecan chips just before the ribs and let smoke away. After 2 hours basted with orange juice and bbq sauce mix diluted w/water and did this every hour after 4 hours dropped temp to 200F. total cook time 6 1/2 hours. Dinner is calling sooon!! We like sweet flavor of orange juice and the sauce to serve is whatever the moods are!
    3 Forgot to add, the ribs were bone side down the first 4 hours. left membrane on this batch, too much hassle to remove. Also raised grid.

Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 6 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 7 hours and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/20
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Stupid question time???.....hey, when in doubt, ask. You can get loin ribs (that is what is on a prime rib roast) but usually you see the larger side ribs and also short ribs.

29c8adeb.jpg

0e9f1f22.jpg

The cook is similar to cooking a whole slab of pork spare ribs but maybe longer. I've gone 7 or 8 hours on big racks of beef ribs. They shrink a lot, repeat...a lot, so don't get freaked out. Try to pick the meatiest ones you can and use the seasonings you like on brisket (at least salt, pepper and garlic). Don't forget to check for the membrane, they have them too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Beef, Ribs, Short, Pharmeggist

Beantown Egger,Hey I slow cooked 6 pounds beef short ribs this weekend. I made my own marinade this weekend and soaked them in it overnight.

INGREDIENTS:
    6 Lbs Beef, Short Ribs
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 Tbs honey
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (red pepper)
    1 tsp ground black pepper

Procedure:
    1 I cooked them indirectly using my plate setter legs up with grill grate on top and aluminum pan underneath to catch juices. THe temp I stablesized the BGE was at 250 degrees. I used my Rib rack and put them in it with the bone down. P.S. I trimmed the excess fat off the ribs and pulled the membrane of the bones with a knife after the marinade process was complete. I used Bad Byrons "Butt Rub" on them too before placing them in the grill. I cooked indirect 250 degrees for 3.5 hours uncovered and cooked 1.5 hours wrapped in foil. They were awesome!! I used Johnny Harris BBQ Sauce and Cattlemens Mustard BBQ sauce after cook adding it last and foiling them on the counter for about 20 minutes. Good luck!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Pharmeggist, 12/03/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• General Smallwood
    Options
    I did some Beef ribs a couple of weeks ago using kosher salt, cracked peper and my own rub. Cooked them @ 230 dome temp for 5-6 hours and they were great.