Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you Egg a Bluegill?

BamaFan
BamaFan Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My catch yesterday
DSC04346.jpg

Some kind of fun on the ultralight rod and reel
DSC04348.jpg

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Hell yes!!...those will be great...plank em..filet em and grill em...bread em and CI fry 'em on the egg w/smoke...dozen ways..nice catch and good eats! :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Some good lookin' fish there - few real nice ones! I love catching bluegills and crappie - as much fun as anything in my opinion.

I think you could egg them, but I always scale 'em, bread 'em, and fry 'em in a deep cast iron skillet with some hush puppies.
  • BamaFan
    Got them filleted and at least some of them will get egged.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I'm with you, gut em scale em and fry em. -RP
  • BamaFan
    Yes Sir, and add some slaw and cheese grits and I'm in Heaven.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    ahhhh bluegill. what a fish. bluegill was my first ever catch. actually caught 3 of them that day. i was six years old. dad put them on a stringer; nailed them to a tree 6 ft in front of me; told me to raise my left hand; he took a picture. poof! in the picture it appeared as if i was holding up 3 two hundred pound blue fin.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    this sounds good just substitute bluegill:::

Flounder, Prosciutto

Ingredients
    8 slices prosciutto (approximately 2-3" wide)
    8 flounder fillets (approx 3-4" wide)
    8 small sage leaves
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    2 Tbs light olive oil
    1 Tbs unsalted butter

Procedure
    1 On each piece of prosciutto, lay a flounder fillet
    2 Put a sage leaf at one end of each fillet.
    3 Mix lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper and paint each fillet with the mixture.
    4 Roll up each fillet and secure with a wooden toothpick.
    5 Lightly oil the outside of each roll with olive oil.
    6 Place on a well oiled grill at 300F for about 8-10 minutes. Rotate the rolls and cook for an addition 8-10 minutes or so.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Posted by Wise One on August 17, 2003

Source: The Book of Fish and Shellfish, Hilare Walden

Something I have not tried with flounder is to use a bed of scallions (like the Ginger Salmon recipe) underneath the fish. It allows the fish to cook without sticking to the grill. It certainly works with the salmon, it should work with the flounder rolls as well.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Catch them off the beds? They will tear a little roster tail up on the bed! Still a little cool for them to bed good hear yet. Gut'em, shuck'em and coat with EVOO, limon juice, Old Bay and a little fresh garlic indirect 300ish on foil or plank till flakey. ;)
  • BamaFan
    A few were bedding and had eggs in them. We threw several back that were swollen to finsh the restocking process :) My buddy in Chilton county manages his lake well, they should be even bigger next year.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Man - it's memory lane day today on the forum! That mess of bluegill's floods the memory banks of days of my youth. Whether my first weekend fishing experience with my dad and brother on Lake Palestine - where we used cane poles and caught over 200 panfish; or my teen years where my buddy and I would spend weeks of the summer hitting the bluegill on their beds at Lake O' the Pines, from a bass boat - using fly rods and those little popper flies!! MAN, good times.

I've caught a lot of fish in my life (including Marlin, Wahoo, King mack, a 9 lb Largemouth, etc), and a good size Bluegill or RedEar is the strongest pound for pound fish I have ever landed on size appropriate tackle!

Thanks for the memories Bama!

jlockhart29 wrote:
    Catch them off the beds? They will tear a little roster tail up on the bed! Still a little cool for them to bed good hear yet. Gut'em, shuck'em and coat with EVOO, limon juice, Old Bay and a little fresh garlic indirect 300ish on foil or plank till flakey. ;)
  • mtn egger
    mtn egger Posts: 62
    Egging a blue gill would be no problem, I would have to fry them. I was at a family reunion yesterday at my mom's house. We got a couple of shots that your post reminded me of
    Kids love to fish for bluegill
    100_4742.jpg
    Even the worms are fun
    100_4744.jpg
    Some of us have no time to fish. Didn't have enough room on the egg so I had to call in the gasser
  • mtn egger
    mtn egger Posts: 62
    forgot to paste the last photo

100_4750.jpg
    Some of us have no time to fish. Didn't have enough room on the egg so I had to call in the gasser
  • BamaFan
    Bringing those kids up right ! Family get togethers and good food. Hard to beat.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Wowwwwwwwwwwwww what a super catch............and as far as egging them no problem...there is always a way......I´d plank them....