Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck roast - pulled beef?

70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been doing a little research on pulled beef, and it seems chuck roasts are the choice? Since there isn't a search function, or I can't find it, how are the experiences slow cooking a chuck roast on the egg? Most of the techniques I've read up on call for foiling after the roast reaches 140*, and then continuing the cook until the internal reaches 200*. From my few cooks on my egg, it would seem I wouldn't have to worry about foiling.

What's the proper procedure for a chuck on the egg?

Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i followed clayq's instructions it was really good... the search box is in the upper left hand corner where the box says "search forum" type whatever in and hit enter......

here is clayq's receipe:::

Beef, Roast, Chuck, Pulled, BBQ, ClayQ's

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Choice chuck roasts
    10 Strips of good bacon
    1 cup About a cup of tomato based BBQ sauce
    1/3 cup Real maple syrup
    2/3 cup Water
    1 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
    3 Tbs Peanut oil

Preparation Directions:
    1 Set the beef out on the table and rub with peanut oil and then spice, (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick).
    2 Fire up the egg and stabilize at 250 degrees dome. Be prepared for an 8 hour cook. Set up is indirect, platesetter feet up, grid on platesetter, drip pan and v rack on grid. At this time leave the grid off.
    Cooking Directions:
    Stage one;
    1 Set beef on v rack in pan with a little water or beer in pan. Lay bacon on top of beef. Lift platesetter enough to throw a handful of hickory chips on burning lump. Place grid in egg and set in the pan with beef. Cook for about 5 hours and when beef is 160 internal remove from egg.
    Stage two;
    1 In a No.12 Dutch oven, oil inside with peanut oil, remove bacon from beef and lay across bottom of Dutch oven. Carefully lift beef off of rack and place in Dutch oven. Pour the maple syrup and water over beef. Making sure the meat probe is inserted in the meat, put the lid on and return to the egg and set on top of platesetter after removing grid. Be careful not to have the dome temp over 250. Cook for about 2 hours, until beef is 215 internal and remove from egg.
    Stage three;
    1 Set the beef out on a tray to rest while you drain the beef juice from the Dutch oven into a container. Place the container in the freezer to chill so that you can skim off the fat later. Discard bacon. Trim any fat you find on the beef and start pulling with a fork. Remove gristle and fat as you pull. Return pulled beef to Dutch oven and add your favorite sauce. Taste test. Now skim fat from juice and return juice to the beef. Taste test. Ok, let’s go back to the egg. Lift platesetter and throw hickory chips on burning lump and return Dutch oven to smoke with the cast iron lid off. Cook for about 1 and ½ hours. Maintain a dome temp no higher than 250.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Stir and serve on soft hamburger buns with pickles on the side. This is a treat that brings together great beef flavor, sauce and hickory smoke. Let’s eat!

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Clay Q croberts@new.rr.com

Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 03/06/06

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    this is a cook that you do want to foil and add some braising liquid. 200 internal isnt high enough, 205 to 210 is where it starts to get more tender and fall apart. dont foil until your at atleast 165 internal
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=103156&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 70chevelle
    So, now I need a dutch oven! B) My wife will be so pleased. I guess I could just use the Le Crueset I got her for her birthday? She probably won't mind :blink:

I found the "search". :whistle:

I will be trying a chuck shortly. Both recipes look very good. Thanks!
  • Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Clay Q's is one of my all time favorites. Mix it with some Wild Boar sauce and it cannot be beat.

Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong
    6 cups water
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16 oz) tomato paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Dave's, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jala

Procedure
    1 Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.
    Some answers to questions about making this august recipe:
    1 HOW MUCH CHILE POWDER TO ADD?.... it's impossible to tell- some chile powder is as hot as hell, some's not, and some folks like really HOT sauce, some can't handle it. But I think you can find out quickly..... if it's HOT, just add so much (1/4 cup?) at a time, and then taste. That's about the only way I know of not to get into trouble with Scoville!
    2 Personally. I like stuff pretty dang HOT. But since not many of my friends do (weenies!), I make it pretty "weak", and then add the hot either by spice or by fresh chopped jalapeño or serrano, to my own servings. I've been using this stuff called Chipotle Morita lately chopped chipotle peppers). Or (my soapbox) seek out HATCH chile powder from HATCH N.M. Delicious deep red rich stuff. OR...since it makes so much, I split it up and leave some of it "MILD" and make some of it "ROCKIN'".(Kinda like rough chopped chipotle peppers).
    3 HOW MUCH KITCHEN BOUQUET TO ADD? Well, I haven't the vaguest, but the recipe says "Add to darken" so a few small pourings (3 TBS) seems to darken the sauce somewhat, so there I go!
    4 HOW LONG TO COOK? I watched a friend make this weekend, and he got confused. He didn't cook it enough. You need to simmer, so it's bubbling at, gosh how shall I say it... a low to medium rate, for 2 hours. Stove set at 2/3 the distance between low and medium. It will lose about 1/3 of its volume, and get darker and thicker. When it's done, it's not thin like it started out, and it's not paste. Stir occasionally, but I've never had it stick. If it's getting sauce on your stove as it cooks, you probably have it on too high!
    5 Vaya Con BBQ!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i love that sauce ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    70Chevelle, I didn't read all the responses, but I highly recommend 'ClayQ's Pulled Beef' in the cookbook section of this forum and yes I used chuck roast to make the pulled beef. If you like cooks with process, this one has it and the end product is plain awesome! takes about 5 hrs to make it all in all....HIGHLY recommended...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I braise a chuck or rump or any other 'big hunk of meat' I find using the dutch oven. When I am done I split the liquid. 1/2 for gravy and 1/2 for sandwhich 'juice'.

We generally slice some of the meat for a dinner. Then pull or slice the rest for sandwiches after that.

Thisi is a no brainer cook. Season your meat. In a DO sear the meat, heavy sear. Remove the meat from the DO and just set aside no need to cover we won't be that long before putting it back in the pot.

Take some spuds, onions, carrots and with some EVOO deglase the DO while browning the veggies. When the veggies are browned clear a spot in the pan and add some sugar and some minced garlic. apx 2 Tbs sugar and 1 to 4 cloves of garlic (minced). stir while adding the sugar & garlic for about 30 seconds or so - don't burn. Add some chicken and or beef stock preferably 1/2 & 1/2. Add the meat and put in enough chicken/beef stock to cover the vegies and at least 1/2 way up the meat.

Don't cover the DO which means you will need to check the liquid level during the cook. Keep the veggies covered with liquid.

The heat should be about 300° at DO level - simmer (just before boiling) and let your meat cook. I will cook from 4 to 6 hours. It takes some real work to screw this up. You are done when the meat is very tender. My thermometer/fork will slide in the meat with almost no resistance.

Makes a fantastic meal and wonderful veggies - can't go wrong unless you don't try it.

GG

doroast1.jpg

doroast7.jpg
  • 70chevelle
    Sold! This weekend is shot, but next weekend is looking pretty good!

That sauce looks awesome.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Oh, and in addition to using the search function, I will also peruse the recipes as well. You'd think this was the first forum I ever joined.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Here's a couple pics of how my last cook using this recipe turned out...
    9798357d.jpg
    a389da28.jpg
  • Here is a great method for pulled beef that isn't a bbq meal and the meat can be used in many other dishes. We love it in our salads.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=109749&catid=1
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    MAN, that all looks good. Alot better than the Arby's I got
  • Soonerfan
    Soonerfan Posts: 71
    don't forget the burn cream!!! :ohmy: :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I did mine like I would do a pork shoulder: indirect, 250 deg dome, 190 internal temp to pull. Didn't use foil on mine. For this cook, I used Cowlick on one, and a burgundy beef seasoning on the other:

IMG_0067.jpg

Next time, I'm going to get some brisket rub from Rudy's and use that instead, because the beef turned out pretty close to what their's tastes like. Here is a shot of the inside:

IMG_0070.jpg

It was really some of the best slow-cooked BBQ I've done on the egg.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Sold....what was the weight of the beef at the start and about how much time do I allow for (roughly).
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    that looks gooood, planning a fishing trip in about 2 weeks and a big chuck roll is now on the list.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Gunnar,

I bought the twin-pack of chuck roasts from Sam's. Not sure on the weight, but they may have been 3lbs each. I remember one being bigger than the other.

For time, I believe it went between 6-8 hrs. I set the DigiQ up for 250 dome, and the meat probe at 190. It was done pretty late that evening, because I didn't know how long to run it in the cooker. There was a note in this thread mentioning 205-210 as a better finishing temp, too, and I'd probably have to agree. The fat was not completely broken down, and I did not foil the meat either.

I'll take better notes on the next round. Good luck with yours--it's a really good flavor of BBQ, in my opinion.
  • photolew
    photolew Posts: 12
    This maybe an oldie....but can’t wait to give Clays a try tomorrow