Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe software

Options
Slick
Slick Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recommendation for recipe software? One that would allow me to copy recipes from here or other sites without re-entry would be great.

Thanks

Slick

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Living cookbook. I am pretty sure their site is just www.livingcookbook.com
    Works well, quite a few of us have it, can be downloaded and if you look around their site BGE owners get a $5.00 discount.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Why not just use your word processor?

Spacey
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have been using Living Cookbook since 10/'04 and have been eggstrmely happy with it. Currently have 5000+ BBQ/BGE related recipes that I will be happy to share. Here is a lnk to the Naked Wizard's $3 coupon. They are PC based and there is currently NOT a Mac version.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lcookbook.htm

Here is a link to a recipe software review I came across a few years ago.

http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Here is a link to the Living Cookbook. They have a free demo that lets you play 25 times. Just do not close it each time and will work until you buy it.

http://www.radiumforums.com/products.html

In my opinion, $$$ well spent.

Copy and paste recipes is a breeze. Contact me off-line if you have more questions.p
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    The Living Cookbook site appears to be out of service. I'll try it again later. Any experience with BigOven?

Slick
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am with Richard Fl he helped me get setup with the living cookbook and i have been really happy with it..

the copy and paste thing is really easy and richard has been really helpful and willing to teach a computer dummy like me....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try clicking in threaded view or classic directly from my message. I get confused which view I am in but one of them just worked for me.

Know nothing about other recipe software programs, however the eggfest, florida fest and several older fests are all in PDF or living cookbook fdx format. There are a few Big Oven folks around here.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I have tested both of them recently..I have to say, Big Oven is cool since it can be networked and if you have a pc in your kitchen you can view them on your home network and dont have to print everything out..however, LC is way overdue for an update and I'm almost sure they will offer this feature in their new version, add to that the thousands of recipes Richard and others have on this forum and it kinda becomes a no brainer...I havent figured out the 'copy and paste' yet and since I have a ton of recipes in my word processor, I will have to do that soon. I am still using LC on the 24 starts demo mode..figure I'll use those up before I purchase ;) ..
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    I have been using AccuChef for a few years now and like it a lot. It's easy to use, import is a breeze etc. here is a link - http://www.accuchef.com/
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    For the Mac users out there--

During the Mac Classic days (OS 9 and earlier), lots of folks used an application called Mangia. Sadly, it won't run under the current Mac operating system, OS X (Leopard). Mangia was loved and when Apple dropped support for so-called "Classic" applications, we Mangia users did some serious weeping and moaning.

In the OS X (Leopard) world, I've been experimenting with MacGourmet and decided I liked it enough to buy it. You can download it from the website and launch it 20 times for free to see whether you like it; buying a serial number costs $25. The website has demo videos so you can see how it works. There's a good user's manual but I really haven't needed to use it.

Here are some of the features I like:

[li]excellent import wizard from websites, Word, or .pdf files (I can capture a recipe I see here in the BGE forum, for example, in a few seconds, with spelling corrected and format standardized)[/li]
    [li]supports an optional photo for each recipe—just click and drag the photo.[/li]
    [li]direct import from MasterCook[/li]
    [li]optional meal planning, cookbook-publishing, and nutrition plug-ins can be purchased[/li]
    [li]beautiful output formatting, with sensible variety for different uses, plus it's customizable[/li]
    [li]quick tech support; I asked a few questions via email after buying it and got an answer back within hours. I think that's pretty amazing for a $25 piece of software.[/li]
    [li]doesn't crash[/li]
    [li]intelligent search features[/li]
    [li]intelligent related-recipe features[/li]
    [li]automatically generates shopping lists[/li]
    [li]automatically scales for different yields[/li]
    [li]maintains an updatable equipment database so that you can note any special equipment or tools needed for a recipe[/li]
    [li]ingredients, names-of-courses, and units are customizable[/li]
    [li]manages prep times intelligently[/li]