Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How are you cooking your Copper River Salmons?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,[p]Since copper river salmon is here and I see quite a bit of you getting some -- how are you cooking them? Are you paying special attention to these? Is simple seasonings, at high heat good, or low and slow like the Dijon Bourbon Glaze recipe?[p]I've tried both grilling at high heat, and doing the slower smoke with alder and like both results with regular salmon. But since this is an expensive cut I'd like to see if anyone has some tips on handling these guys.[p]

Comments

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I generally cook salmon at about 250 to 275 for an hour per inch of thickness.[p]Use your imagination on what to put on the fillet. I personally perfer dill or rosemary when cooking copper river.[p]I've tried dijon on fillets as well as plain ol' mayo. It's good, but I prefer to not use heavy sauces or dressings. This is so the fish can absorb more of the smoke.[p]Try using sliced lemon over the fillet, butter, and either dill or rosemary on top. Put the fillet on a piece of foil and curl the edges of the foil (so drippings don't hit the fire). Smoke at 250 or 275 for an hour per inch of thickness. [p]This (and a few other little tricks) worked well for me at the 2002 Red Hook Regionals. I took home 1st place in the Southern Pride Anything But category cooking Copper River.[p]-Ryan

• Unknown
    Options
    Jamesw,
    I agree with Ryan, when it comes to Copper River less is better with spices. Add a little brown sugar if you want it a little sweeter. You can also grill at a med-high heat for aprox 15 min or till the internal temp reaches 155º.
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,[p]This sounds good, but I have some questions. So I can put butter on the Salmon and it will not burn when I smoke it? (I guess 250 is low enough so it won't burn the butter).[p]When you do this, do you Flip over the salmon, or just leave it on one side? [p]Do you do indirect (Plate setter, or Drip Pan), or just drop it right on the Grill?[p]Also, is 155 the correct temp to Pull out the fish? I want to make sure not to Overcook it. I have overcooked regular salmon before and the meat gets kinds of strange (dried out?). At this low of a smoking temp I can use the Polder probe in there to see when to take it out. [p]Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,[p]One more thing:[p]Do you salt the fish before, or after the cook? During?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jamesw,
    I can't answer the question to Ryan about the butter but
    don't flip the salmon and i would suggest cooking indirect.
    At 155º the salmon is still moist but you should have a good smoke flavor.
    I cooked in the same contest as Ryan and we took second, his salmon must have been great cause I know ours was right there. I didn't get to eat any of his salmon but would have loved to.
    Jim[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Jamesw,
    last time I cooked this it was so good Im still wanting to eat more of it. I like to add more than less the fatty content and flavor of the meat holds up to any spice you can dish out on it. It was even better the next day. Enjoy the stuff while its here.[p][p]

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Nope, the butter will not burn. Just helps to add to the flavor.[p]I always cook it indirectly on foil. [p]Can't really speak to what temp the internal should be. I've never checked. I've cooked so much of this stuff that I can tell when it's done just by eyeballing it.