Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a Large Egg Into the Table

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm (finally) getting down to the final sanding an finish on my table. Hopefully I'm within a stone's throw of actually commissioning this table for use. I figure it's about time I start thinking about actually dropping the thing in.

I know at a minimum I'll have to take out all the inner guts (grates, firebox, etc.). I'm hoping I won't have to go as far as taking the lid off. Even though I have a weight-lifter neighbor, who's built like a fireplug and has offered to help, I'm still thinking it's gonna be a helluva ordeal getting the thing up, in, and down inside the table.

So once again I'm tapping the collective wisdom, creativity and genius of the "cult." Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    I've ordered a potlifter to help with the process.
    http://www.potlifter.com/
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I had the help of one of my son's to assist.

First make sure your band bolts are tight and bent as shown in the video and several sites from forum members.

One person held the egg by using the bottom vent the other by the bottom of the opposite side of the bottom vent and by the hinge, keep in mind if the band gives the egg will drop and brake.

When the hands are at table level a new grip is made under the table surface by all helping and then carefully lowering the egg.

I had a wooden spacer on the the table so the lowering of the egg was only 7 inches or so. We then got another grip and the wife removed the 'spacer' and we lowered the egg further down into the table.

All went smooth for us.

GG
  • Grasshopper
    Grasshopper Posts: 108
    Options
    Just remember the word carefully at all times. I did my, my wife stood by but mostly to be sure i hit the hole in the table. I did empty out the inners but left the lid on. All the time i was lifting i just kept thinking don't drop this bad boy and wondering if it would be covered by my home-owners. I wish you luck, it is possible for one better for two. Good luck.
    Grasshopper.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    That drove me nuts also.First make sure your paver's are on the bottom shelf.Then what I did as an old man was what is obvious remove all of the guts.Then with the top open put your arm down inside of the egg and grab the bottom of the vent.I used a small step stool to get the height advantage because it was on top of the table.Then all my wife had to do was to keep it straight as it was lowered down.Hope this helps.Don,t let this secret out because I used to lock it up but after all of the frustration of how to drop that thing down the hole without damage the potential thief would not have the brain power on how to get it out of the table No lock in five years..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    an encyclopedia stacked would help, get the egg up on top and pull one book out at a time while someone helps hold the egg. maybe im the only one that still has a set, pretty useless set of books
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have a problem, mine are on cd's.

However, it is (books) a great idea.

GG
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    I took out the guts, removed the lid and bands. Only took a few minutes to take apart. Then my son and I grabbed the base at the top and just lifted it up and set it down in there. It does not take long to disassemble and put back together and made it much easier to do.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The "pot lifter" that Keith below, has a link to, is by far the best way. At my party two weeks a go, Vidalia1 and Bente lifted one egg out of the table onto the new cook area and another one out of the nest onto the new cook area. they made it look easy. If I didn't have back issues I would've been right in there too. The pot lifter is the way to go. I'm sure you could resell it if you wanted to after you used it.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Todd,

I used the Potlifter the other day to move a big planter in my back yard and a Dogwood we just bought. The guy that helped me said "where did you get this?" That was the easiest move I ever made...

I do like the Potlifter... B)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you're worried about the weight, remove the dome too. Just loosen the lower band nut and remove the dome and spring assembly together. This way only one nut to deal with, plus good practice whenever it's time to refelt of the rims. Also, you won't be tempted to lift the egg using the spring assembly. Before you lift the dome/spring off, remember to use the plastic spring locking caps to freeze the springs or tie the lower band to the handle before. The plastic caps came with the spring assembly.

Other than that, just plot out your moves: ground to top of table, top of table into position near hole and then slip into the hole. With two folks, it is not that hard, more of a mental challenge than physical one.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    TVJ, Crue and others. . . It looks like I was making more of deal out of removing the lid than what it really is. I did save the little plastic gizmos that keep the spring assembly together.

I am intrigued by the Potlifter! Before seeing that I was contemplating using lifting straps like the furniture moving guys do. Hopefully only have to do this ONCE and I won't need to put this whole project $30 more over an already way-bloated budget!.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The first time I had help from a fellow Egger. Two times since then, I took the Egg apart, climbed on top of my table and either lifted it out or set it in (carefully, using the legs, not the back).

I'm a scrawny old fart.