Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options
KentuckyEggMan
KentuckyEggMan Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After having owned many many grills, including, Broil Master and DCS gas grills, both which were nearly double the price of my Egg, I am done with my grill purchases unless I wind up with the extra large egg too.

I am giving my current grills away to my brothers for now. I have a DCS (Dynamic Cooking System) that is a good, even great gas grill to my brother. I have a weber kettle I use for steaks that I am giving to my other brother along with an electric smoker. They all do a good job, for what they are.... However, they don't produce the quality of food the egg does.
The electric smoker is really the most effective of those 3 for what it does. Produces great fool proof meats for smoking but not really anything else.
My Egg, (large size) does it all perfectly. Yesterday I cooked some burgers, some chickens and some pork loins all on one fire. I added charcoal one time and cooked them all.
All of them turned out beautifully. The chickens were great, (beer can chicken), I make my own rubs and sauces. The birds were about half done when these pics were taken. I have been cooking a long time and I differ my method from many others. The low and slow is OK but I think it tends to cause over cooking in many cases. I subscribe to the theory of hot as possible with out burning. With the egg, you can sear to your desired level and with the lid closed the flare ups go out immediately. The intense heat locked in juices and added a flavor that is incredible. I did the tenderloin in about 1 hour and the chickens in about 2. The chickens were falling off the bone and insanely juicy.

The loins were great too. I cook loins fast. It has little fat and the hotter with out burning the meat, the juicier it is. I cooked the loins first at about 600 degrees until I got the desired char and then reduced to 400.

I didn't use any wood just to see how the natural flavors were. They were fantastic. Comments were, this is the best chicken I ever ate. This chicken is the bomb....WOW this is awesome. I didn't get pics of the finished chicken and it was reduced to skeleton status in a short time.

Finally, I was amazed, (without really following any directions) about temp control, how quick and easy the egg reacts to subtle changes in venting. I figured out in my first foray with the egg that the bottom open and top closed with the holes open 1/2 way, will put you at about 360 degrees and produce the most smoke internally. It is what made the chicken flavor so spectacular. It was a great purchase that I know I am going to enjoy for many years. I was trying to upload a pic but I don't see how it is done here....Another time. I am going to have to learn more about the advantages of the plate setter and so forth I have always just moved coals to one side for indirect?

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Welcome to the Cult -- I mean, Club! It's good to see fellow Kentuckians on here.

I'm a big fan of cooking indirect on the Egg. But I now use Old Dave's "contraption" (he emailed me directions a couple of years ago) which is a lot like the BGE's new three tier deal, I think. I used a plate setter before that, and it did a pretty good job with indirect cooking. I now use my plate setter only for baking, which the Egg does amazingly well.

Let me know what part of KY you're in, and maybe we can get together some time! Enjoy that Egg!

Mike
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    unbelievable what the Egg will do. I've had mine for over a year and still finding new things to cook as well as methods (not to mention the 20 pounds I put on).

If you have the chance, try Ross In Ventura's hot tub ribeyes...you probably will never cook another way. My local butcher laughed at me after I told him how I was cooking them...he told me I might as well put them in the dishwasher...looks who's laughing now.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    What is the method??

Greg
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Put your ribeye in a hot tub for an hour (101 degrees...and of course sealed in a zip lock bag). Get you Egg into the nuclear temp's of 600 or above.

Cook for 90 seconds per side, then rest for about 15 minutes. It is out of this world...thanks to Ross.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase KY and I know from your post that you are going to really enjoy your egg (soon to be eggs as for most of us)...good to see another Kentucky poster on here...we're taking over the workd! ;) :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Owensboro, KY here.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    sup Ike!...I'm only bout an hour from you...saweet!
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    Thanks Mike. I am in Lawrenceburg (ANDERSON CO). I am curious about your indirect method? I am thinking of a couple of "improvements" all ready. I saw a rack of some sort on here tonight where the grill can be raised further up. I cooked a steak tonight. Pretty damn good. Used minimal Asian Stir Fry seasoning and I put a splash of Garlic Vinegar on to marinate a bit before I put it on. I cooked it at about 600 for 2 or 3 minutes. Flipped it and reduced to about 450. It came out perferctly. I think I need to calibrate my thermometer? Do you know how to do that? Thanks! Where are you located?
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I cooked steaks tonight. Sirloin. 600 then flipped after 2 minutes reduced slightly, got to 450 flipped again 3 more minutes, that was it. Medium rare perfect. About 1 inch thick. I am liking the egg a lot so far. I had 2 calls from family that weren't here for the chickens pork loins over the weekend. They are all ready reaching legendary status. I guess I have to get on photo bucket or something to post pics....I wonder if .mac will work?
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    Do you kick moonlights ass on the BGE? I used to get over there when I worked for Bellsouth. I stayed at the Ececutive downtown most of the time. Ate at moonlight about 1 time a week when I was there. I think what I fix on the egg is better than any commercial BBQ I have had.
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    That is about the craziest thing I have heard of! Just crazy enough to be GREAT!
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Oh yeah..well Moonlight's specialty is mutton and I havent tried mutton yet on the egg..but for sure the pulled pork I make on the egg is better than moonlight! :woohoo:
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    I don't like mutton much.........About the only think that is smoke/barbequed that I don't like...
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    I did a bunch of chickens, and country style ribs last night........ I had that egg covered, crammed with meat. It was awesome. As it cooked down at about 340. it was perfect. I don't know if you can put too much meat on there. I love cooking on the egg.......