Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE lump VS Royal Oak

Options
Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen these threads before but I want to make sure I am not doing the wrong thing by buying Royal Oak at Wal-Mart for $6 per bag VS the BGE lump at BBQ Galore for over $20 per bag. Is there that much of a difference? I had heard that Royal Oak makes and packages BGE lump? Any help out there? Wal-Mart is wayyy closer to me anyway.
Thanks
Don

Comments

• always consult the naked whiz for charcoal info. R/O does make BGE. and i believe wal mart carries the made in usa variety. R/O markets lump from 3 different south american countries as well .. check the bag for country of origin before buying. i do not like the smell of the south american wood.
    bill
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I use the RO from Walmart and really like it. -RP
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    Options
    I have tried Cowboy Lump and it was just ok. I found some store brand lump that seems to be better. Brand is Best Choice Natural Wood . 4.99 for a 10lb bag. Naked Wiz site said its made by Royal Oak.
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    Options
    I believe the Walmart bags are 10# vice 20# for the BGE. You are not making a mistake using Royal Oak.

I use Royal Oak (US), small lump is a minor problem but I work around. I just picked up 20# cowboy and will try BGE next. Your Royal Oak may have nice big chunks. Give it a shot.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I found this FullCircle stuff localy, $4.99 for an 8.8 lb. bag. Havn't tried it yet but it has good size pieces and seems to be about the same density as Cowboy.
    FullcircleCharcoal.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have seen two size bags of RO (USA) wth 10# being the largest in our area.

RO from Walmart seem to contain much smaller size pieces of lump.

GG
  • tcounty
    tcounty Posts: 16
    Options
    I cooked a butt for 21 hours with RO. No complaints here.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not complaining other than the walmart bags have a lot of small pieces.

Filling the lump to the bottom of the fire ring (smaller pieces) I cooked 21# of butt for about 18 hours, cranked the egg up some for chicken piece cook then up again to 650° for 2 hours which used a lot of lump, then back down to 400°.

No question the RO gives a long cook time and will push very high temps if desired or needed.

I am now getting to the end of last falls 300#'s of RO.

GG