Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Bell Pepper & Onion

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Sunday, instead of having a baked potato and steamed vegetables with my steak, I decided to try something different. I took a red bell pepper and a yellow onion out of the fridge. I cut the top out of the pepper and removed the seeds. I peeled the onion and cut it in half. I put both veggies in plastic bags, pour in some olive oil, salt and pepper, and rubbed them a little. I put them back in the fridge while I started the Egg. When it reached 300, I put them directly on the grill (with just lump - no wood added for flavor.) I left the bottom vent and daisy wheel open. By the time I finished cooking the pepper and onion, it had reached around 400. I cooked them for about 20 minutes, turning them a couple of times each. When the pepper had a nice charring on the outside, I took them off the grill, put them on a plate and covered the plate with foil.[p]Then I let the Egg heat up for the steak (a nice porterhouse, marinaded in Stubb's beef marinade.) When I was ready to eat the steak, I took the foil off the vegetables, cut them into strips, and ate them with the steak. They were excellent. I think I'm going to make that a standard side dish (I'm going to try a yellow bell pepper tonight with a spathcocked chicken.)

Comments

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I regularly cook vegetables with steak. The way I do it is this: I cook the steak in the fusion reactor manner. ie as hot as the blamed thing will get taking into acount ambient temp humidity etc. 3 min a side and then a dwell depending on thickness of the meat. During the cook on the 2nd side or the dwell (Depending on the vegetable) I cook them overtop of the steak on a veggie rack. I marinate the vegies with Olive oil garli powder black pepper and kosher salt. If you like asparagus get ready to slap your momma.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Try these one time,they are the best veggies I have ever had.
    Larry

[ul][li]NB's Veggies[/ul]