Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I may be crazy but...

Options
Willie Lump Lump
Willie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So there I am picking up the $3.88 for 8.8 LB bags of RO at Menards and before I put them in the cart I am turning them around and smelling them like I’m buying cantaloupes.
The reason for my peculiar behavior is the only time that I bought this stuff before, when I opened the bag it smelled of creosote.
I am quite happy with the recent purchase and its my claim that this is actually a good practice because believe it or not I am positive that a couple of the bags I rejected I could smell a strong odor right through the bag .
WLL

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    None of us would have thought you crazy, but the others in Menard's must of been going "WTF"
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey if it works, than it works. Just be careful that it doesn't become habit forming(anti-black lung). :woohoo:
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Brookshires has their brand of coal which is supposed to be RO for $2.00 for an 8lb bag. I believe it's briquettes though.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I look crazy going into Lowe's in the grilling section asking the Lady in the department do you have Lump?? After furhter clarification they did have cowboy Lump but it was way up on the shelf b/c it is a seasonal item. ANyway, I bought like 8 bags and the Lady asked me if it was really that good. I said yes it does pretty good if you are an egghead like myself.
    ~Pharmeggist
    I guess next time I should leave brochures of the egg in all of their stainless beauties... however they would probably ban me forever from the store.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Is there any medication other then charcoal for this egghead syndrome? I keep raising my dosage but the symptoms are getting worse. :laugh:
    WLL
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    No, you're not crazy! :laugh: My last bag of RO had several pieces that weren't fully carbonized and caused me fits. Next time I'll do your smell test! :)
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    After read TNW's review I bought some RO at my local Wally World. Made darn sure it was made in USA however and it was Great. Many large and extra large pieces not many really smalls. Could be beginners luck but great experience.