Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Plate setter

Mistick2
Mistick2 Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, My plate setter for my Large BGE broke thru the middle in 2 peices. My Hubby swears he can just glue it? I said no way? Any suggestions? Thanks -newbie

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Purchase some JB Weld at your local hardware store; do as directed and you should be back in business.
    Hope this helps! You're both right; while glue isn't the same as JBW, it has alot of the same characteristics.
    Hammer
  • Mistick2
    Mistick2 Posts: 15
    Thank you so much! My husband knows what that is!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    right in the middle is a tough fix, even for jbweld. but that's your best shot.

if he uses it legs up, and laying on a grid, the break might be ok. but i don't think that legs down, you'll get much more life out of it if you want it to support anything.

people have broken the legs, and since they are pushed together by whatever weight is on them, they do ok. but a crack down the middle wants to pull apart.

keep your fingers crossed with the jb weld. it's an epoxy, and can stand tension. furnace cement won't handle it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Have you chatted with your dealer... and about the Mothership wattanty?

Am I wrong? Are ceramic parts made by GreenEgg for the Egg not covered by warranty?

~ B
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Why would you want to subject your cook to JB weld; if you hit it; dropped it or what ever - go get a new one. If you feel you have a true warranty claim then go for it with the factory.

If you made a mistake and broke it; just purchase a new plate setter and rock on!

Oledog
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    I agree with you on most of your post; however I disagree with you about the use of JB Weld on the egg.
    There are a lot of eggs repaired with JB Weld, and the mothership recommends it in some repairs. I've got four eggs of which two of them and ceramic accessories that have been JB Welded repaired.
    Maybe, I misunderstood your post.
    Hammer