Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is Hanger Steak?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any BGE'ers familar with this cut of meat? How do you cook it and to what temp?[p]Appreciate your comments.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    CptQueeg, Here you go on what it is. Haven't cooked one yet so I can't give you honest opinion on how to cook.
    Painter

[ul][li]hanger steak[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    CptQueeg,
    This from Prime Time; The Lobels' Guide to Grilled Meats:
    "Hanger steak is also known as 'butcher's tenderloin' because traditionally butchers saved this full-flavoured but unattractive cut for themselves. It 'hangs' from between the rib cage and the loin cage, which explains the name.....
    Hanger steak needs no fancy preparation, just a brushing of oil and a little salt and pepper.....It's best to remove the centre vein, which runs lengthwise down the centre of the steak. This leaves the steak in two pieces, neither of uniform thickness, which can make uniform grilling tricky--but well worth the effort".
    Their recipe for it, is as follows:
    1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot. (Qfan note: 350-500 dome?)
    2. Brush the steak with olive oil and sprinkle on both sides with salt and pepper. Gently press the salt and pepper into the meat.
    3. Sear the meat for about 1 minute on each side and then grill for 12-15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the steak. If the thin end of the steak cooks before the fatter end is done, position the steak so that the thin end is on the edge of the grill (Qfan note: away from hot spot). Turn the steak frequently during grilling.
    Let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
    (Qfan note: for a touch of smokiness, a small handful of oak, mesquite or Jack Daniels flavoured wood chips might be nice. Also the 12-15 minute cooking recommendation seemed a little long to me, but use your discretion and check as you flip. Press on the surface of the steak; the greater the resistance, the more fully cooked it is.)
    Good luck with your hanger steak.
    Qfan

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    CptQueeg,
    The concensus seems to be to sear or cook at high heat and cook to rare to med. rare. Marinate is an option. Good luck and let us knoww how it goes.

[ul][li]grilled steaks[/ul]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    CptQueeg,[p]This is a wonderful hunk of meat. I don't bother removing the center vein - easier to cook, and easy to slice out when you serve.[p]Hangers are so fibrous that they take a marinade better than most steaks. Great beef flavor even without, though. [p]I do these on my small Egg, dome temp 600 or so. Sear for maybe 4 minutes per side, then shut the vents down and let the steak dwell for another 4-5 minutes. An internal temp of 125 is about right for rare. Don't forget to let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. [p]Cathy
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Cat,
    Hey there! How's things going?
    Spring finally got to Massachusetts I understand it's been held over in NYC.[p]Happy Memorial Day[p]Carey

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Cat,
    Thanks for the 'real world' update on what I copied out of the Prime Time book. As with most cooking discussion, there are two sides to each recipe/method:
    - what the book says, and
    - what good cooks actually do to get great results
    thanks for providing the latter!
    Qfan