Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To remove, or not remove a fire box

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read a couple posts where people say they never remove the fire box. I have removed mine a couple times, in order to clean the ash that falls on the back side of the box.[p]For those of you who do not remove the fire box, what do you do about ash build up on the far side? My standard ash tool could not reach back that far. Is there a trick or do you just ignore it?[p]
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]What build up? Yes, there is some, but if you look at the airflow path needed - you can see that 3-4" can be there in a little mound and it can't obstruct anything. So why risk your back, your firebox or whatever to remove what does not bother the operation of the cooker? My ash tool reaches around about 1/2 way and that has always been enough in many years.[p]I am also a firm believer in leaving some ash, all the time, in the bottom to help insulate the bottom (or what is under it) from the extreme heat without it. There were a few posts back about cracked tile under the Egg -- the ash helps prevent this.[p]Tim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I have never removed the firebox to clean in 2 1/2 years using the egg.
    I am able to angle my ash tool behind the firebox to about the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock areas and rake out the excess ash through the bottom vent.
    The ash that I can't reach appears to eventually settle into the areas that can be reached.
    As long as the airholes in my firebox are clear and airflow is not impeded, the amount of ash behind the firebox does not affect my cooks.
    Hope this helps.
    Good Q'n.[p]WD