Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg DAMPER TOP SOLUTION

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC06386
<p />Just a few posts ago someone asked about how you keep the damper top from sliding open when you open the lid to the BGE...the frustration being that you lose that "perfect" setting. Someone pointed to The Naked Whiz for the solution, which includes the proper alignment of the damper to keep this from occuring. Well, after several failed attempts (a short attention span and just plain forgetting to align per THW's instructions) I gave up and went to the Hardware Store and created a solution that frankly, for about 5 bucks works pretty darn well. Check it out and keep Grilling all you EggHeads!
[ul][li]Big Green Egg Damper Top Solution [/ul]

Comments

• CourtJester
    Options
    Tony - Is that the standard damper that comes with the egg? I was just at a local store and I saw a green cap on several of the eggs, figured this was an upgrade. And great tip by the way, thank you!
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    the green cap is the standard cap that comes with the egg. most people will opt to get the "daisy wheel " cap. it's an extra. however many dealers will include this daisy wheel cap that you see pictured with the purchase of your egg.

btw, great idea on securing the daisy wheel. i am always forgetting as you did.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2586.jpg
    DSCN2585.jpg
    Tony,
    Just put the hinge screw on your side of the Egg, When you lift the lid it stays were you set it
    My Best,
    Ross
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options

The email link to TONY on the original post about the DAMPER TOP SOLUTION is the WRONG TONY...so SOrry TONY and if you want to email the correct DAMPER TOP SOLUTION Author, email thebtls@aol.com Keep on Eggin'

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    The GREEN cap you see in the store isn't used to regulate the egg. When you have a fire going, and you put the green top on, the fire goes out, as no O2 can get through the egg.

I can't for the life of me understand why any dealer could consider the daisy wheel to be an "extra." It is essential to "driving" the egg.

It doesn't replace the Green top... The green top is used when the Egg isn't in use, the daisy wheel is used when the egg is a-cookin'!

~ B
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Broc,
    The green cap can be used to regulate the cooking process. It was what a lot of folks used before the daisy. Like you said, it is used today primarily as a way to shut the egg down.
    The daisy is a third or fourth improvement or more in the effort to regulate heat.
    Take care!
    Hammer
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    When I first got my top it was real loose also. Now I have to warm it up and tap it to get it to move. No problem wit it moving after the first few cooks.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I second that. The whiz had that on his site if I remember.
  • Eyeball
    Eyeball Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometime during the winter, my cap stuck itself together and I can't get the thing to open. I've tried heating and tapping. I guess WD40 is next.
  • BigT
    Options
    WMK

How come Tony's messages appropriate my avatar?

Inquiring minds...

Big T
    Nashville, TN
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    just heat it up. That should work
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    BigT,

I don't see an avatar on Tony's post; however, it did come from the old forum which can cause some confusion since there is no login required.

It appears it's time to shut the door, and turn the lights out, on the old forum. We've been working on a new "template" which will solve a number of other problems; but perhaps we should pause that effort and shut off the old forum first. There are very few posts there these days; and, it is confusing to many. Plus, as long as it's there, folks can post as anyone they like.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hey, Tony. That's nifty. The trick to keep the damper top from sliding is simply to make sure that the screw, where it hinges, is in the 6:30 position facing the handle. JCA

• BigT
    Options
    J Appledog,
    As my blog says, tried it, or forget to do it and away the lid goes...so the spring takes away having to do ANY alignment. Thanks.

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Sorry I never responded, these messages are going to another BigT besides me...Thebtls (who also had a BigT handle originally somehow). The answer I have is I got Both when I purchased my Egg. I know of no other option personall but I see other responses here I haven't read yet.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241