Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a Carne Asada Recipe

Options
Wilby
Wilby Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok Eggers! I'm looking for a killer Carne Asada recipe. I'm cooking up a batch on Sunday.

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Here's one I got from another list:
    Bob
    Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:50:17 -0400
    Subject: Carne Asada

I bought a package labeled Carne Asada last week at Costco. It's very

delicious but very high in sodium. Today I found this recipe. I just
    might use this marinade on a skirt steak and see if I can come up
    with the flavor of the Costco one without all the salt.
    terry

Carne Asada - Serves 4
    Published in: Mexican Recipes

Ingredients

1 top sirloin steak 20 Ounce
    2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoons Dried leaf oregano -- crushed
    1/2 teaspoons Salt
    1/4 teaspoons Coarsely ground pepper
    1/4 cup Orange juice
    1 tablespoons Lime juice
    2 teaspoons Cider vinegar
    2 Orange slices -- 1/2" thick

Instructions

Place steak in a shallow glass baking dish. Rub with oil on each side.
    Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Sprinkle orange juice, lime
    juice,
    and vinegar over the steak. Cover and refrigerate overnight for best
    flavor
    or several hours, turning occasionally. To cook, bring meat to room
    temperature. Prepare and preheat charcoal grill (or gas grill). Drain

meat,
    reserving marinade. Place steak on grill. Top with orange slices.
    Occasionally spoon reserved marinade over steaks as they cook. Grill
    3 minutes on each side, or until medium rare. Cook longer if
    desired.
    Removeorange slices to turn steak. Replace orange slices on top of steak.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go

Mexican, Beef, Carne Asada

4 each well trimmed beef rib eye steaks 3/4", thick
    2 Tbs lime juice
    6 each flour tortillas 6" size
    1/4 cup each Colby and Monterey jack cheese, shredded
    1 each salsa

1 Place steaks in a utility disk. Sprinkle with half the lime juice, rubbing into surface. Turn steaks and repeat using remaining lime juice. Cover and refrigerate while preparing coals.
    2 Wrap tortillas securely in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
    3 Place steaks on grill over medium coals. Grill steaks for 12 to 15 minutes for rare (140 F) to medium (160 F) or to desired doneness, turning once. Top each steak with an equal amount of cheese. Serve with salsa and tortillas.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: "Best Barbeque Recipes", by Mildred Fischner, Carey Starzinger

Source: BBQ List, Carey Starzinger, 08/08/96

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BENTE,

I agree except there should be two ounces of tequila and cilantro. Well trimmed skit is awesome. Did you get the bomba. The Mexico trip was postponed so I can follow it up next week.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BENTE,

I agree except there should be two ounces of tequila and cilantro. Well trimmed skirt is awesome. Did you get the bomba. The Mexico trip was postponed so I can follow it up next week.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Carne Asada is a Mexican recipe for marinated, grilled beef served in in tortillas. This is not your run of the mill taco. This is a flavorful and delicious meal that is great for any occasion.
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds skirt steak
    12 flour tortillas
    1/2 cup tequila
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup orange juice
    4 cloves garlic crushed
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup guacamole
    1 teaspoon Tabasco
    PREPARATION:
    Mix juices, garlic, onion, tequila, Tabasco and pepper in a bowl. Add meat and marinate both sides. Cover and refrigerate, turning meat over occasionally. Let sit for 4 hours or more. Preheat grill. Place a few drops of water on each tortilla, stack and wrap in aluminum foil.
    Place on grill. Remove meat from marinade, reserving marinade. Place on grill. Turn steak and tortillas once during cooking. Brush steak with remaining marinade. Cook to your liking (12 to 15 minutes for medium-rare). Cut into thin slices. Place a few slices of steak on each tortilla with salsa and guacamole and serve.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea i sent you a email but am in the middle or rather the beginning of a 39 lb pulled pork cook although i do believe it may be time to start some no knead bread....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    Beli - that looks awesome! Gotta give that one a try. I wish I could get those handmade blue corn tortillas here like they sell on the street south of the border!
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback. I have a couple of great recipes to try. This board is a source of awesome people with great experience.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    I have made this recipe from Park Kerr (Texas Border Cookbook), it's fantastic:

6 poblano chiles
    2/3 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    4 1/2 lbs flank or skirt steak (tenderloin / filet works here too, cut into even portions, up to 12 6oz. steaks here!)
    1 1/2 lbs Monterey Jack cheese, sliced

Roast the poblanos over direct heat on BGE, turning until lightly but evenly charred. Steam poblanos in a paper bag until cool. Rub away burned peel. Stem and seed the chiles and cut them into 1/4 wide strips.

Stir together marinade: lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add steaks, coat on both sides and marinate, covered, at room temp turning once or twice for 1 hr (vacuum marinade works really well- thanks Fidel for that one!)

Grill @ 375-425 until medium rare, turning once and basting with marinade at the beginning and after turning.

For some Juarez authenticity: divide poblano strips evenly over the steaks and divide cheese evenly over the chiles. Cheat and use the broiler to melt the cheese or put steaks in a large pan or go indirect to melt. Finish with a side of refried beans, a traditional enchilada, or a pork taco, and be sure to include a generous dollop of guacamole!