Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my BGE

Options
Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got home with my Large BGE. I got the nest and the PlateSetter to go with it. :) I won't be able to put it together till Friday though :(

I'm planning on steaks for saturday night and a prime rib on Easter. I may do the Prime Rib on my Brinkman though. Is it easy to do low and slow on the BGE?

Comments

• mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    I used to have a Brinkman, and the answer to your question is a definate yes. Even though I could cook pretty well on the Brinkman. controling the heat on the my egg is so much easier.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the cult!

If you're cooking Steak on Saturday, avoid the high temp searing. When the Egg is new the gasket needs some time to get comfortable before handling nuke temps.

In answer to your question, nothing does low and slow like the Egg!!

Scroll down a few posts, there's another thread with a link to a prime rib cook on the Egg.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Welcome, Tuck. An endless road of good cooking lies ahead.

A really good road map to get you started:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Glad you're here!

TRex
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Tuck welcome to the world of Eggheads. Good luck with your new egg and may all your cooks be awesome.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Here is a picture of mine on the day we met... sniffle what memories.

Good Luck - had great luck w/Prime Rib on the Egg...

Virgin%20BGE%20Open.JPG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the EggNation! Good choice to grab the plate setter so that you can experiment with some indirect cooking. Low and slow is pretty straightforward on the BGE, just mak sure to read up on Naked Whiz's site about the charcoal setup methods.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

Prime Rib is a pretty easy cook, and very rewarding. I suggest keeping it simple and you will be very pleased.

Make certain to calibrate your dome thermo before you cook the prime rib just to make sure you are cooking at the temp you want.

I am in the minority, but I prefer searing my prime rib first, then roasting to a finished temp. Most people seem to prefer an end sear or no sear at all.

If you do a bone-in be sure to carve the bones off after your final rest, then put them back on the egg at 250 for another 60-90 minutes for an awesome snack the next day.

EndSearing.jpg

Carved.jpg
  • Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    Congrats.

I'm kinda new here myself. Try and make sure no bits are missing before Friday. My new medium was missing the nuts and bolts from the eggcessory box. Be warned it seems many (myself included) can not stop at one egg.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Low-N-Slow is very easy.

Check your fire grate to ensure that it is installed with the tapered side of the holes facing down.

Make sure all the air holes are clear.

Use DRY lump and lay the first layer with slightly larger pieces.

Light in more than one place. I generally light at 4:00 and 8:00, with the hinge being 12:00.

Do not over shoot your target temp. Set your temp on the way up.

Get your temp stabilized with everything in place except the food. This includes plate setter, drip pans, and anything else you plan to have in the Egg.

I'd recommend a dome temp of 250*or a little higher, especially as a new Egger. Building a fire to maintain temps much lower than this requires special attention.
    (250*dome will be about 225* grid.)

After the smoke has turned blue or cleared, and your dome temp has been stable for at least 30 minutes, put your food in and close the dome.
    The temp will drop; expect it; make no damper adjustments.

Check your dome temp after 30 minutes. It should be pretty close to your original setting. If it is HIGH, you can make a small adjustment to ONE of the dampers. I use the bottom damper for practically all my adjustments.

If you made a damper adjustment, check back in 15 minutes or so.

If you didn't make a damper adjustment, check back in an hour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    For temp control 300 and up I leave the daisy off and just use the bottom draft door.
    For temps below 300 I use both.

Stike's analogy for temp control is best. He likens it to a garden hose where you turn the spigot on at the house for the main water control and then you fine tune it with the hand held sprayer. The lower draft door is the main control and the daisy allows you to fine tune it.

For the 250 and below, my bottom draft door is open at iot's widest point about the thickness of a nickel and my daisy petals are between just cracked and 1/3 open.
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I'll go ahead and try the Prime Rib on the BGE. I just don't want to mess up such an expensive piece of meat.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    If temp control is your only concern, you shouldn't have any problems.
    Your lower damper is going to end up being open only about the thickness of a dime or a credit card, and the upper daisy 1/3 to 1/2 holes.

If you're looking for methods, here are a few ideas:

Mad Max's Prime Rib
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

Southwestern Slow Cooked Prime Rib
    (The Smoke Ring)
    http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2220&start=0&pos

Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
    (Cooking For Engineers)
    http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/38/Prime-Rib-or-Standing-Rib-Roast