Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Buy an Egg

Options
Justin
Justin Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am on the fence about buying a Big green Egg. Can you tell me why these are so great?

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    They do everything. Easy to use. Last forever. Fun to use. Be part of the forum and attend Eggfests. Just read some posts and you will have your answer.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Buy an egg or buy a grill and smoker and continue to heat the house with your stove. Then continue to buy another grill and smoker and probably new oven while your friends with the egg continue to use the same old egg for EVERYTHING and get a life-time guarantee to boot! Not to mention the quality of food is second to none on the egg. You have to try it to believe it! Just my 2 cents ;)
    smokinegg.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    No,go away,the clubhouse is closed!Just kidding, :laugh: These things are awsome.I just got my third egg.They rock.If you really need it,this forum should push you over the fence. :woohoo: If you're still confused,you haven't read enough from this forum..Try again. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Look around and see if any grill has a helpful and devoted user base that compares to here.
  • Justin,

I am new to this, but will throw in my 2 cents. I bought my egg last week. I have cooked on it 4 times since. It sits on my patio next to my Kalamazoo Dual-Fuel grill.

http://www.kalamazoogourmet.com/sf2-df.php

It is a neat piece, and I am having fun using it. It starts relatively fast, and is fuel efficient.

In my opinion, you will enjoy it throughly. I bought 10 pounds of pork ribs to Egg, and also busted out some beef ribs from our slaughter. I can't wait.

Buy it, and start enjoying it now! Don't be a dumb-ass like me and "Think about it" for a year!!!!

Jeff
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Justin,
    you have a few answers over at the new forum Click here to go there[p]
    but my answer is they are really a good investment i was able to learn a little earlier than some others my egg is my 3rd grill i have ever bought. my fourth grill is also a egg i have two so i can do more than one thing at once. but mainly i got it because when i am doing a boston but for pulled pok it takes awhile and i can do a steak or some chicken while the pork is cooking low and slow. there are several hundred reasons to buy an egg but the largest reason is they are very good at everything like smoking cheese[p]EGGER022508002.jpg[p]also doing things like bread[p]bread001.jpg[p]it also does pizza [p]03-03-08001.jpg[p]DSCN0266.jpg[p]peppers[p]superbowl08014.jpg[p]
    and the usual stuff like steaks, chicken, pork, lamb....[p]
    the list just keeps on going. [p]
    just make sure to buy your egg from a dealer instead of over the internet or from someone second hand. reason for this is the Big Green Egg has a lifetime warranty on all the ceramics. if the egg ever cracks from heat realated reasons the broken parts are covered and will be replaced. i hope to see you around here soon after you purchase the last grill/ smoker you will ever buy thats if you can stop at just one...[p]
    BTW get a large you will not be dissapointed[p]
    happy future eggin[p]tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Use to cook on four different types of grills / smokers. Now it's just the EGG. It's a much more forgiving cooker than the others. Here are a few things the egg does better than most.

DSC_0011.jpg

Beef005.jpg

Chicken011.jpg

Pizza005.jpg

Porkloin006.jpg

3-1-08029.jpg

SteakChops024.jpg

Steakonplate2.jpg
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    If you try to smoke low and slow on metal counterparts, you have to mess with adding new lump or fuel off and on during the cooks. With the egg you can go 18 hrs without adding new lump. This is a big thing for me cause I am lazy and I have never liked messing with my fuel going out, like it used to go out with my weber.

It you live in cold weather you can use this cooker in the snow and rain and not have to worry about moving it out of the wind or getting a grill cooking jacket, like you do with some of the metal cookers in cold weather. I have noticed no decrease in temps in cold weather, with my BGE.

It can easily reach restaurant grill tempts of 600 and above, by opening the vents more. This is an awesome grill as well as smoker. The steaks have ruined me for restaurant steaks.

You can use it to make brickoven-type pizza and bread.

I expect my BGE's to be passed on down to my grandkids. I hit the metal bands with some Pam Grill spray a couple times of year and my eggs sit out in the weather year round, they don't have any rust on them.

Everyone gripes about the prices, but I spent 500 dollars on a Ducane Gassy about 17 years ago and within 5-6 years it rusted into an unuseable mess. My eggs look really good still.

The people on this forum are a lot of fun to be around.

Finally, The Food, the food, the food!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I love it when this question is asked - get to see alot of great cooks and enjoy even though you have seen them before.

Pam on the bands - nice! You learn something new every day here.

Couple more reasons

101_2229640x480.jpg
    101_2023640x480.jpg
    101_1830640x480.jpg
    How about some grilled oysters
    101_1559800x600.jpg

buy a Large, no buy an Xl, no buy a medium. It really doesn't matter what size you buy, you will buy another one within a year. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I love to cook and since I retired (about 2 years now) I have purchased many new cooking toys to include upgrading all my pots and pans, new stove etc and then about a month ago I purchased a Lge EGG. It was a big mistake, as many of my new toys are not being used at all especially the stove.

WHY, because the Egg is fun, versatile and it is very forgiving. I have baked on it, made pizza on it that my oven couldn't touch and steaks that rival almost anything you can find in a restaurant. You can cook low and slow or at high temps. You can set the temp say at 225 and it will hold it for hours.

This Forum as was mention in an earlier post is fantastic. You have a question whether it be on the type of charcoal to use or how to cook a leg of lamp just ask and you will receive advice on how best to do it.

Bottom line: you won't regret the purchase and will probably buy a second one
  • Devo
    Devo Posts: 51
    Options
    I was already convinced I was buying a BGE after talking to my friend Eggtucky but after looking at the replies to your post I don't think I can wait on the economic stimulus payment from the IRS. :woohoo:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2408.jpg
    DSCN2412.jpg
    DSCN2393.jpg
    DSCN1842.jpg
    DSCN2341.jpg
    DSCN2313.jpg
    DSCN2215.jpg
    DSCN2205.jpg
    Here are a few of my reasons.
    Good Luck,
    Ross
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Enough said right there.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    The heavy ceramic wall is a great insulator.
    ~ 10 pounds of lump will maintain BBQ temps for 24+ hours, untended.
    - Long burn time & low airflow = food maintains its moisture... No need for water pans.
    - Weather has little effect on the Egg. Even way up north it is a year-round cooker.
    Ceramic doesn't rust.
    If any of the ceramic does crack in use, BGE will replace it.
    This forum:
    - With a few easy tips & tricks you can smoke cheese at near ambient temperatures, cook chili, bake bread, cook pizza, or sear steaks at temps you couldn't approach with any other cooker.
    - If you have *any* cooking or Egg related question, or just want to crow a bit about your kid hitting their first double in T-ball, this is a great group with excellent support, great advice, endless recipes, and there is someone here pretty much 24-7.
    Corporate support:
    - The people at BGE are the best, and are always there to help with any physical/technical problem. (Well, during business hours anyway.)
    I used my first BGE for 20 years. It was one of the old baked clay models and the best cooker I ever used. I bought my first ceramic BGE 2 years ago. The ceramic Egg is better.
    Safety:
    Did I mention the Ceramic is a great insulator?
    Got kids? Grandkids? Ever have friends over who have kids? Have any absent minded friends?
    What would happen if you were to momentarily touch a conventional charcoal grill that is in use?
    The BGE can be cooking along at 375*, and you can lay your hand on the dome. It will be hot, and you won't want to keep your hand there long, but it won't burn you. I know, this is a demonstration I have done many times.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Very well stated, my friend!

John
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    Justin,
    Here is my input.
    The range of temperatures that this grill attain will allow you to use it for far more than traditional cooking systems. Temperature control on the BGE allows you to cook without having to monitor it very closely. This is really good for BBQ and other slow cook foods. This is also a very efficient cooker
    Seared rare steaks and pulled pork BBQ are my two favorites. [p]Once you get the egg you need to think about where to put it. To build your own table see the plans at Http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    they have a lot of other good information about Ceramic cookers.
    If you get one I think you will enjoy it.