Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with planked fish

Options
Slick
Slick Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought some fresh haddock and would like to try plank cooking on the egg. A few questions for the eggsperts:

Would redwood work? I have a few pieces that would be just the right size.

Assuming I soak the wood for a couple of hours, is there anything else to be done to it?

My plan is to brush with olive oil, season with s+p and a few shakes of DP Shakin' the Tree and lay some thin sliced lemon. Any other ideas?

Direct or indirect, wood chunk for smoke, temp, time?

I'll do some pics of the outcome.

Slick

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am no expert but i have never soaked any wood i have ever put on my egg including planks.

i would go direct put the dry board on there when it starts to smoke flip it over and put your fish on there.

i have no idea if redwood qwould work someone else would have to answer that question..

but i would not put any extra wood for smoke. that is what the plank is for ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Kew_el_steve
    Options
    IMHO, be careful with Redwood. The same toxic oils that make it so good out in the weather make it NOT a good thing for your health. Stick with Alder or Cedar.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    redwood is close to cedar.... probably fine to sub for it.

i personally soak cedar (but no other wood). i soak cedar because a cook where cedar is smoking the whole time will give you a real resiny piece of meat. cedar isn't a flavorful smoke. it can be acrid in any amount that's significant.

the whole idea behind the plank is that you are using it to protect the fish from the fire. it's a sacrificial indirect cook. soaking the cedar delays the point at which it starts smoking until the middle/ end of the cook. much more than that and you'll be eating pine tar.

i don't soak other woods, because i find that hardwoods can smoke throughout without adversely affecting the meat. hickory is sweet. cedar is not.

to each his own. but the general style behind planking is to add a slight tinge from the plank (if it's cedar). with strong fish like salmon, the slightly resiny flavor will actually cut the fattiness. like drinking a sauv blanc with fish. it is strong enough to pair with the flavor of the fish.

cedar bacon would be crap. maple goes good with bacon, cedar goes decently with salmon. but not much else.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante