Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on the egg

MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all![p]Had some salmon in the freezer and decided to smoke some. Salmon went on indirect an hour ago and is puttin along with a #3 ring @ 130. I'm gonna kick the temp up a bit to 180 hear in the next few minutes. This will be a 3 hour smoke and should be magnifico.[p]Mick

Comments

• MickeyT,
    I'm not real familiar with the rings, but are you saying you can hold temps as low as 130F? This is still a little hot for cold smoke salmon, but getting close...

• MickeyT
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I was actually at 90 for most of that hour. Sorry. I don't always keep such good records. Yes, you can keep very low temps.[p]Mick
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi MickeyT,
    How far open is your vent while using #3 and what size egg are you using????
    I have Jalapeno glazed chicken parts and a 2 lb. meat loaf in Mr. Large indirect with your #6 and it's holding about 280° dome w/vent wide open. Rings are working very well, thanks. ÜÜÜ
    New Bob

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    MickeyT,
    never heard back from you on whether or not you got my MO for da rings. ???
    They work great - one happy Egger on this end. Thanks.[p]LVM

• MickeyT
    LasVegasMac,[p]Sorry LVM. Yep I sure did.[p]Glad they are workoing out for you.[p]mick

• MickeyT
    New Bob,[p]I've got my vent wide open and it's on a large.[p]Have fun with your rings.[p]Mick

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    MickeyT,[p]What kind of fire do you build to maintain such low temps and what measures do you take to keep the fire from going out especially at 90 degrees?
    I have kept a temp of 170 for a couple hours using the #2 ring but have not tried to go lower.[p]Last night grilled two 5lb Tuscan marinated spatchcocks using the #8 ring and it held firm @ 350 for the required hour. These rings are fun and easy... I like new toys. :~)[p]Cheers,[p]WD

• MickeyT
    WooDoggies,[p]I completely cleaned out my large. Set some incredibly large hunks of lump (12")in the bottom and filled in the rest with normal lump. I then loaded the chiminea with lump and got thet roaring. I then wrapped a 18" pizza stone it HDF. When the chiminea was rockin I dumped it into the egg. Immediatly put the pizza stone on along with another grill wrapped in HDF as well. Put a #2 on and waited 10 minutes. Put the salmon on and put a #3 on. That egg piddled along at 90 for 40 minutes or so. Bottom vent wide open. I would occasionaly take the ring off and listen for that "crackle" letting me know the fire was still going. Never did get past 150 for 2 hours.[p]By the by........the salmon was awesome.[p]Hope that splains it. [p]Mick
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    MickeyT.,[p]Yep, that 'splains it. Thanks.
    I will have to do some playing around to see if I can reproduce your results.
    Would be cool to get into smoking salmon at very low temps.
    I'll keep notes and get back with you on dat.
    Cheers,[p]WD