Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Guard!!

Celtic Wolf
Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I can be considered old guard, but some of you are much older.[p]We already know how Ray feels about the new forum, but what of the rest of you? Is the new forum the real reason you aren't posting or are there other reasons? [p]I'd rather lose the new forum then to lose thje valuable input from all the Ol' Sage's of the BGE Forum.[p]For those reading this on the new forum this was posted on the old forum so answer on the old forum please.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Celtic Wolf,
    i dont really like the change but ill work with what we have. there will always be some older sages dropping out of the picture for variuos reasons, just look at the old archives from 5 to 6 years ago and it was a much different crowd. for the most part the forum always moves forward, but if folks are not getting logged on or cannot post as guests, its not going to work out in the long run, we always need new folks with new ideas to keep things going

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I am getting used to it. I certainly have not been "on" much lately. I just saw the "classic view" button. I now have access at work and I am learning how to use my new computer at home. In a nutshell; I think this new forum will be fine.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Took a little time to get things straightened out and a little more time to "get used" to the new forum but, I'm happy with it. It's logical. My biggest gripe (not voiced openly yet) is that when I finish reading a thread and go back to the full forum it doesn't "bounce" back to where I was.And even that I'm getting used to and I hate change!
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]I ain't Old Guard. Compared to those guys, I am among the Lowest of the EggMeisters.[p]But I don't understand this talk about Which-Forum-to-Use, and This-Forum-is-Provided-for-Free, and All That Jazz![p]Why doesn't BGE MamaBoat commission some Forum-Guru to build a platform for "their" official Forum site...[p]A "modern" forum to BGE's liking, which has appropriate bells-'n-whistles, protections safeguards... yada-yada...?[p]I am waaaay outside the circle of personalities involved, here... and I truly don't understand the issues -- [p]That doesn't mean I don't appreciate others' hard work to create a workable forum... but isn't "workable" the operative word?[p]BTW -- I have some other suggestions for MotherShip, but since no one's inviting me to comment... I jis' shutuppa mah face![p]Best to All![p]~ Broc

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Celtic Wolf,
    Hey Buddy! See my reply on the new under Ray's. Like I said earlier, I thought it might have been a natural process of evolution prompted by not being as familiar with the huge influx of new Eggers that have recently come on board. I'm now convinced that the switch was likely a bigger reason.

Good talking to you this morning.[p]LR

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I joined the forum in '02, and took a rest for a year or so. I prefer the new forum over the old one for its usability. Only thing is I lost credit for a couple thousand (or something) posts in getting transferred. But that's not a big matter.

- Ed
  • Celtic Wolf
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha, Eastward in Eden,[p] I see more complaints about "I can't get into the new forum" then I ever have with "This forum is old" [p]Workable is the key point. If a new forum is needed to address the issues then go with some of the proven favorites. Most of them are shareware. [p]For that matter I have a professional board running on my server that I am willing to let WMK and WPB run for BGE if they want. I just don't want to see all that sage advice go poof because of a piece of software.

• Celtic Wolf
    Lawn Ranger,[p] Good talking to you too..[p]Ray's post, your response and a few phone calls I made today are part of the reason I am asking this question on the old forum.[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Sundown,
    first, i'm not "old guard", so i'll post my response, here.[p]now, sundown. are you on firefox or Internet Explorer's latest version? if so, right click to open the thread in a ew tab, and when yer done reading, kill that tab. you'll end up back on the original tab, scrolled to where you were.[p]as far as the forum... my only 'gripe' is that after weeks of "normal sized" fonts, and things working fine, i seem to get kicked out every 15 minutes, fonts are always small (it never 'sticks'), and sometimes believe it or not i click a thread in classic view and it opens in 'flat' view. seems skittish lately. may be a cookie issue, but i dunno what i did on my end to upset things, because it was fine for a while[p]WMK assures us this stuff will get ironed out, and since it's free, i'm really not going to beat BGE about the head and neck for it. in the old forum, people p!ssed and moaned about trolls hijacking the forum, and screamed for a "better" forum. now they scream for the old forum to come back. it's not a democracy. and as in many other things, BGE doesn't need to explain the logic behind their decision making. [p]i am not "old guard", just a user. but i feel i add hopefully as much as i take away.[p]i say if someone has a substantive suggestion, then post it. if someone wants to do more, donate time and money.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Wow! It works like you said. Thanks.

I'm old guard I guess since I've had my Egg since '98 and I've watched a few wars erupt, I've watched injured egos slink off and a lot of really great and knowledgeable people just fade away. There are a lot of days I sit here and read posts that give bad or misleading information. The temptation to jump in and make it right is overwhelming at times.

Like everything else in this life it's all about evolution and that goes on every day on this forum with or without me.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Stike --

Good for you, brother.... You've admitted that you're a user... :whistle:

11 more steps to go!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

PS -- Good t'"see"ya!
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Stike,
    I'm with you on this issue, and I am an old guard. I like this forum a lot better than the old one. Am I happy about the learning curve, or the things that don't work fully, no; but I am willing to learn, and like learning the egg, be patient.
    I believe that once ithe forum is fully implemented, and folks take the time to learn it, and try to learn it, instead of asking wher this is, etc; that it will be a major improvement in terms of security.
    Hell, our e-mails were harvested by one of our own members on the old forum and there isn't nearly as much spam on this one; except what goes through the worm holes.
    If a lot of the old guard posters don't like it; then they can donate to the BGE for the improvements they want.
    Hammer
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I'm not here as much, as there are too many hoops to go through. I never had a problem in the new forum and none in the old one either. I used to be able to just type in www.greeneggers.com, and I could start posting, I can't do that now, and maybe sometime before it would come around.

Just wondering is the amount of time one uses their Egg relates to how much time is spent on this forum.

I haven't used my Egg much and I haven't been here either.
  • Damn if I am going to figure out how to get back to the old forum so I'm posting here.

I wish the new one had a better layout, that it returned you to where you where when you do a refresh and some other minor inconveniences but I am here to stay.

One thing I have noticed is a LOT less spam on the new forum.

Life is change.

Spacey
  • rather than typing www.greeneggers.com into your navagation bar possibly the following will help with all those 'hoops'

BTW one no longer needs to type www for and internet address. The net grew up and will get you to where you are going without the 'www' part of the direct typeing of the address.

Rather than typing anything at all into the navagation bar. Try this.

1st of all go to your provile and check Blank Password box (I don't want to use a password)

or leave that selection as is but you will have to enter in your password before listing (not reading)

Make a direct link on your desk top for one or all of the following.

Clasic View:
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=showcat&catid=1

Threaded View:
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=showcat&view=threaded&catid=1

Flat View:
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=showcat&view=flat&catid=1

Last 25 View:
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=last25&do=show&sel=24&Itemid=55

Hope this helps. GG
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Not sure yet. I guess the jury's still out. Needed changes seem very slow to come.

• stike
    i was impressed when we met at Frank's and you said you'd been doing this for ten years. you certainly have seen a lot.
    you should jump in a 'nudge' things that may be misleading back into a little more reality. i maybe do that TOO much.

hey... i'm having a matched pair of jumbo pearl's franks for early dinner. wife took the kids to the cape for a couple nights. i'm bachelor boy. beer and franks. steaks tomorrow.
  • stike
    i might make good progress, but i hope you can skip around on the steps. if i have to complete the apologizing step before moving on, i'll never get to the end of the list.
  • stike
    watch out. when they change over fully, the old domain name will land you here anyway!
  • Celtic Wolf,[p]Yeah it's the new forum for me. Requires more clicking and stuff I guess. I lurk, but don't find it as easy to see whats new as I did on the old. I don't have as much patience lately in general - I think I use it all up on the kids and then not much left for certain other pleasures.[p]Young Guard signing out...Good to see you posting again BTW.
    I will be in Waldorf again :)[p]-J

• Its pretty clear that the "New Forum" was released before its time. I vote to can it!!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    If apologizing cramps your style... apologize in Russian -- They won't know what you're saying, but you can report in at the next meeting that you've done your duty...

It's easy --

Min-YEH Zhawl

"Min" rhymes with 'pin"
    Ya don't have to punch the "yeh" very hard.
    "Zhall" rhymes with "shawl"

Or --

You can tell them what they say in the Russian Marines --

Toughie Sh!tshii!

:ohmy:
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    stike wrote:
    you should jump in a 'nudge' things that may be misleading back into a little more reality. i maybe do that TOO much.

I wish the Old Guard would step in and kindly say, "Hey, that's not quite right. You might want to try this..."

Then us Newbies might learn a little extra and perhaps the right way. Some of us have so much to learn. But we enjoy learning from all of you.

Thanks,
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Wow, I haven't gone through greeneggers.com for a while now. And I'd forgotten how much quicker it seems; the difference is quite striking.[p]Meanwhile, I think I'm part of the old guard in that I've been posting here for eons, but I haven't posted a lot about BBQ in years, mostly due to my living in BBQ-challenged apartments the last 4 years. So, most new posters who started posting the last several years probably don't even recognize my handle.[p]But I digress....[p]I think I've been posting even less on the new Forum, and do admit it's partially due to the new format. But I'm getting used to it, and I think it has potential.[p]I think the key tips for me were:
    [ul]
    [li]Definitely learn to increase the font size and do that right away. I know some folks have said they're having problems with the font size changing on them. This hasn't happened to me, and I'm on Firefox on Ubuntu, if that matters.
    [li]I keep my bookmarks extremely lean, and actually fit my main ones on a Firefox menu bar (the rest are on google or del.icio.us, but I digress....). Anyway, I think anyone from the old forum needs to bookmark the following - http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=showcat&catid=1&Itemid=103 - and always use that to get to the new forum. That should take you directly to the Wide View section, so with 1 click you can view new posts and such.
    [li]The thing about the back button not remembering the depth to which you've scrolled is hugely annoying. The tip about opening items in new tabs is a good one, though. One note is that a middle mouse button (or scroll wheel) often has the same effect as "right click>>open in new tab," and that's what I do with Firefox, so that at least saves a click. This solution is not optimal, though, since it's not the normal way we browse (who wants to remember to open links on this forum in a new tab but in the same tab for every other forum?). Also, you could technically miss out on new posts by leaving the original screen open in the original tab without refreshing it. But it seems to be the best we have for the moment. The other consideration was to perhaps use another browser. I heard Safari handles the back button scroll issue properly with the new forum, and I know it works with Opera on Linux. These are also not optimal if those are not your primary browsers that you use for every other site, but may be helpful to some.
    [li]Regarding logging in, I never do that unless I'm actually going to post. This allows me to use my bookmark to access the forum with one click, then I can respond whenever I like and just use those username/password/checkbox fields at the end of the post to login while I post. Again, it's a little more work than before (old forum - write your name at the top. new forum - write your name, password, and check the box at the bottom). But it's not that bad.
    [/ul][p]Those are just some thoughts from me. I agree that the most important thing is that we don't want to lose posters on this board. The traffic on this forum seems to have really exploded the last couple years, and it'd be a shame to disrupt that.[p]It would also be a shame to have more new changes now that we've gone so far down this path.[p]I don't claim to have a good answer. This is the same kind of stuff I do at work all day (make tough IT decisions based on very imperfect data realizing that many people will be mad at me for said decisions). So I'll leave this one up to WMK and co, and will support you all whatever you choose :)[p]Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
    Cornfed[p]PS - long story short, as long as I can post Heeeees without fear of reprisal, I'm good.[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Celtic Wolf,
    When the change happened, I went to activate my existing profile over there and got this:
    Mozilla < 1.3 Beta is not supported!
    I'll try, though, but it might not work.
    And my attempt to activate the profile failed, so I never pursued it any further. I still go over to the new site and read some posts, but just never really felt all that 'welcome' there after it rejected my update. May sound weird, but just kinda felt that there was a new generation of folks doing all the posting and maybe the failure to be able to sign on was a 'signal' for me to move on or something....
    Qfan

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Celtic Wolf,
    I don't experience most of the problems others are having on the new forum...haven't been posting lately cause there seems to be some negativity in the air towards me...figured I'd give the dust some time to settle...and I also really haven't read a post in a while that I felt I could add anything positive to that hadn't already been said...there are a lot of things I DO like about the new forum, but could go either way on which one I prefer...[p]Wess

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    You'll never get any negativity out of me - I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!! Don't you pay any attention to those people! If they knew the true you, they wouldn't take offense.

Spring "lovin the Wess man" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • ok...well...as long as you're still cooking... :P
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Celtic Wolf,[p]The old forum was fine with me and as Cornfed said, I am amazed to see how fast the "original" forum is.[p]The new one seems to address many issues people were complaining about, but is is slow and cumbersome.[p]Smokey