Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Health

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if there are any health benefits in cooking on the Egg VS. conventional ovens??? :silly:

Comments

• none that come to mind. As long as you are using the same meats. The egg may tend to keep the moisture up in the fods you are cooking.. Ther ceramic hold moisture well

Gene
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    No, but OTOH, life is 100% fatal.

Now quality of life seems higher cooking on the Egg.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    It is better for your peace of mind and mental well being. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • There are several great health benefits to cooking on an egg...

First good mental health from the satisfaction of building a fire and cooking some of the Creator's great creations (meat veggies, fruit) over it and in it (hickory, apple and other hardwoods)...

Second better quality eating...if I'm going to the trouble of starting the fire, I'm cooking the best I can get; no processed stuff for me (frozen cheeze pizzas=the oven, homemade dough and sauce get the egg and the same with items listed above)

Finally, lower your blood pressure and learn patience..when you put that butt on the egg and close the dome, don't open it again until the thermoeter reads 200,some 15, 16, 18 or 20 hours later.

Just my thoughts...
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    My eggs keep me away from the fast food places.I know that's a huge health benefit. :laugh:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    By moving your cooking out of the house, you're not filling your kitchen with hot metal fumes, and avoiding some smoke.

You get to spend some time outdoors in pleasant sun light or invigorating blizzards.
  • If you are cooking on the egg you are also staying away from a pot of hot oil, a.k.a. frying which is not as healthy a way to cook as broiling over an open flame.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if your conventional oven was outside they would be similar, but in a confined space in a kitchen a poorly running gas oven puts out a fairly large amount of carbon monoxide.also this weekend i was setting up the wok on the stove top and the heat got away from me when the phone rang, between the hot smoking oil and the dozen dried thai peppers i had in thwere, it was a couple days before i was breathing right again. outside that wouldnt have been a problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cooking on the egg invariably leads to beer consumption. Beer is rich in B vitamins. Additionally, ethanol helps solubilize cholesterol to keep your arteries clean.
  • Probably not if you step on the scale. But as other posts said teh food is great therefore I cook more.It reduces my frustration and stress the Egg is easier to clean then my oven and stove top andit clearly heats up faster and holds the temperture unlike my oven.
  • Interesing question.

We have reduced out take out food eating, resturant eating and most fast foods.

On the otherhand we have increased our beef/pork intake a lot. We have also increased outr intake of chicken, a few abt's and of course some soups. Now we are testing fish and are going to try to eat more fish and chicken.

Observations... I don't enjoy eating out much, the food just isn't that good. My wiehgt hasn't changed one way or the other. We don't 'feel' more or less healthy from late last summer to now.

No answers, just questions.

GG