Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers....

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to make hamburgers tonight and it will be the first time since getting my thermapen as well as only the second time cooking them (first cook ever was burgers) and I didn't do the best job my first try although not terrible. I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me what temp. would be "medium" for burgers? Or, is it even something anyone measures and rather just goes 8-10 min. per side and flip method. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i refuse to eat any hamburger (that i do not grind myself) that i do not cook to 155. especially after reading an article in mens helth yesterday... there are a lot of scarry things that end up in burgers. burgers seem to be the worst about having ecoli.. the article i read yeasterday says "the amount of product we test that's positive has gone up 33 percent in the last three years" so i would not eat it too rare

just my $.02 though

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i will second your 2 cents.
    i like raw meat with salt so.... i do not do store bought burger. no point eatin it at 155-160
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Good point, but the ecoli bacteria grows on the surface of the meat. The meat you grind is just as likely to have ecoli as store bought ground meat.

BTW...as another poster mentioned above, I concur with him. I enjoy all the grub you share on this board...keep up the good work.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Steve,
    What I do - and have not died yet from my hamburgers - is egg direct at 400° dome for 4 minutes one side, flip, but never press down for another 4 minutes and flip again, add a piece of cheese and let go for 2 more minutes. If you want a temp the accepted is now 160 for medium though I prefer more like 155 myself.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Hi...I pull mine at 140 so after the rest they'll be around 145. If you want the best burger ever...go to the foodnetwork.com and look at Bobby Flay's Cuban hamburgers. They are far and away my families favorite.
    Oh, and he recommends removing at 135 but I've found a little higher suits me better.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    HERE is the article if you want to read it.

but do you know how many surfaces that stuff they grind in the store has? alot!! ;)

also thanks for the compliment

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Longknocker
    Options
    I cook'em until 160°.
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    Thanks for all the input and will share results later tonight after it's all done.
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    That sounds like a great method Ron, will use it as you've suggested and let you know the results tonight :)