Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texans, unite against this BBQ debacle!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found this link in alt.food.barbecue. Its a column about production of the New Braunfels Smoker being moved out of New Braunfels, Texas to be built in Georgia.[p] In Georgia, people think something called pulled pork - a stringy meat covered with sauce - is proper barbecue. Just the name makes me nervous. Pulled pork: Isn't that cruelty to animals? You, Junior, put your fingers in your overalls pockets and quit yanking on that pig. Do not blame this sort of twisted activity on New Braunfels.[p]
[ul][li]Texans, unite against this BBQ debacle![/ul]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    EgginJacket, pretty funny. Except, he never made mention of the fact (I'll probably start a war here.) that at least Georgians know that "Barbeque Beef" is an oxymoron.

• Wise One,[p]I'm torn here. I currently live in Georgia, and have been smoking butts in the egg for a couple months now, but I am moving to San Antonio in May. So I guess once I get there I'll have to start cooking the beef instead.[p]On that point, I've been reading the threads about moving an egg, and I've decided to go the route of letting them move it for me, and making them pay for it if/when it breaks. Maybe I'll be able to take that opportunity to upgrade my medium to a large. :-)[p]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    EgginJacket,
    Don't worry they sell pork butts at HEB and on holidays you can get brisket for 55 cent per pound.
    But you better bring your vinager sauce as tomato based sauce is prevalent and cole slaw on a sandwich is unheard of!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    ravnhaus:[p]Hmmmm! Brisket at $0.55/lb. makes this George boy think "Barbeque Beef" is OK! (smilie thingie)
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    djm5x9, actually my mom (in SC) used to make her BBQ with what in essence was "pulled brisket". I have wanted to low and slow cook a brisket for her to use one day. One day may be getting very close.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_08_0016_03_01.jpg
    <p />Wise One, chuck roast is another great piece of meat for "Pulled Beef" - it turns out about perfect![p]BTW - Greenville may still be alive![p]Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Pulled Beef[/ul]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    EgginJacket,[p]this wasn't some April fool's style joke was it?

• EgginJacket,
    I used to be a supplier for NB Smoker Co. WC Bradley has owned NB Smoker for about 4 years now. Though the administration was headed by expats from Georgia, most of the plant was run by locals or surrounding areas. WC Bradley was responsible for the major growth of the NB Smoker by introducing the product line to Walmart, Home Depot, Academy, etc. [p]I have a sense of fondness for the name New Braunfels Smoker. (its not a bad product). I relate this situation to the Oilers. Once they left Houston, they did the right thing - they became Titans. This way, when they screw up they wont give the town a bad name.