Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork loin

mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a pork loin im going to cook today. what temp. do you pull it off. it is very lean. i was going to cook it 300-350 indirect. does that sound right. thanks

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I pull at 130º - 135º let rest for at least ten minutes then slice.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I usually pull 135-140F. Here is a variation you might like to try.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 07/01/07

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.
  • I did one Saturday and I pulled it at 155 deg. It was really moist and at the right doneness. I started the lump and a hour later the smoke was not clear and I had to put it on anyway. It was way to smokey tasting to me, I used two chunks of apple wood. I think the problem was the lump not the apple though. Everyone at the party said it was great, maybe they didn't want to but my feelings? I used BGE lump and had problems with it on a low & slow last weekend. It burned way to fast, I kept a even 250-275 Dome and it only lasted 14 hrs? Anyway make sure you get to the clear smoke or maybe use less smoking wood, unless you like really smokey pork.
    Good luck.
  • Son-in-law did one this weekend and pulled at 151. Said it as "spot on".
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    I like to cook them at a high temperature (400), and pull around 145.

porkloin2007.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    That sounds good, I will try that next time, thanks