Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many women eggers?

Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many women eggers are out there? I know there are a few of us that post, but it definitely is a mans world on here:) I am not complaining at all. I love a man in the kitchen or in front of the egg! or the washer, vacuum or any other thing, LOL But we sure are out numbered here. or is it that they girls do cook but just don't post? in your family do you both egg or just one of you? We both do. LOL Julie

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Julie,
    I do the cooking and some prep work. The wife does the majority of the prep work; so I believe that she deserves as much if not more credit than me.
    Hammer
  • Hi Mainegg,
    Ya were out numbered but these guy’s are great. I’ve learned everything I know about egging from them.
    I do all the egging as my hubby doesn’t get home from work till after 6pm

AuntieEgger
  • I'm the only cook at my house. The only other Egghead at my house is my 7 almost 8 year granddaughter, Katelyn. She doesn't know it yet but she will be going to her first Eggfest in April at Oklahoma. She has even helped to come up with a new item to cook this year. I'd tell what it is but she wants to keep it a surprise. :woohoo: Cheryl
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    I started it all by buying a large Egg and attending Waldorf.

Gloria attended Waldorf with me the following year and talked with women Eggers there. She hasn't held back since. She cooked at the first Eggs By The Bay, right next to 'Chubby's Chick'. She has read this forum, but doesn't feel comfortable posting.

Generally I'll start the lump and do the overnights and long day cooks.

When we have decided to fire up an Egg or two, Glo will often prep and cook a dessert or veggie dish, like Vidalia onion pie. Her fruit crisps are killer. When she cooks on an Egg I am totally 'hands off'; she chooses her smoke and handles temp control. Pizza? We are both in it up to our elbows.

Now, if I could get her interested in ribs, brisket and pork butt I could lay back and play bartender... ;-)

I'm all for EgGirls!

DD
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I get to have all the fun in our household. I tell him what and how to do it...hee..hee. No, really, we both talk about what we are going to fix and how to season it, then Spring Chicken takes over to cook it. He loves to play with fire and I don't. Besides, I can't lift the darn top high enough cause I'm too short!!!! That's okay though because if it doesn't turn out right I just blame him. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be?
    Spring "stand by my man" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • I am the only one in my house and I have 2 Eggs so I get to play with fire, choose the smoke, and do all the prep and clean up.
    I am not "afraid" to take on those long overnight cooks.

If something doesn't taste as I expect or like there is no one to blame but me that is the downside of being the only chick in the house, for that matter the only person cooking.

The guys here are though are a great resource of information. I have learned lots of tips and tricks from them on here.

~Linnea
    aka Fonchik
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The only reason my wife know where the kitchen is, is because that is how she comes into the house.

Her words "You cook why should I?"

IT'S MY KITCHEN hehehehe
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I'm the egger in the family. Hubby bought it for me in November after much cajoling. He is a great cook, still trying to get him to love the egg. Hoping he will attend Eggs by the Bay in June with me. Keep your fingers crossed!
  • I'm the only egger in the family - and really the only cook. My husband is the human guinea pig as I experiment with the egg. :unsure: :whistle:

I've learned a lot from the folks on this forum so lately he's been a happy guinea pig. :lol: :laugh:

Patty
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    My wife is allergic to the Egg. Well, except for her half a dozen main dishes, she's allergic to cooking. So my Eggs and I carry on... and I must rely on The BrotherHood.

That said -- she cooked for me for nearly 40 years. Now that I'm retired, I can return the favor... if I could only get her to eat what I cook.

Sigh!

If a pork chop isn't a pork chip... it isn't cooked. That's the way her mother did it!

If there's any taste of smoke in the food, it isn't good.

If there's any juice in the chicken or turkey, it isn't cooked enough.

Sigh!

But!

I have these little things called grandchildren! They love GramPaw's cookin'! When my oldest g-chile becomes eight, she'll become my helper, and she'll be a champ right soon! Others will follow.

Why eight? That's her mother's mandate...

It seems that Q-ing is a man's domain... sorta genetic, I think... related to Neanderthalesque behavior.

I don't know why -- the Egg doesn't know if it's being handled by a man or a woman...

And -- when ou need a good man for a job... Get a Woman! Right?

===

Can't get my wife to buy into that.
  • I do about 95% of all the cooking in my house. When we had the gasser, I did mostly all the prep work and my hubby grilled maybe 60% of the time. But with this egg, she's all mine. I asked for it after doing all the research, bought it and now am the sole egghead. Funny thing with the gasser I was always afraid to light the thing (ignitor died out ages ago) but with the charcoal, there is no fear of playing with the fire or getting dirty. I'm hoping that hubby will at least watch the video or read some of the exceptional information found here so he too can appreciate what I've discovered this past 6 months.

Of course, I'm very protective over my large egg. All my egg accessories are neatly put away and organized. Everything has a specific use and I'm quite picky when it comes to an inexperienced user handling items such as my platesetter or my much valued adjustable rig and spider set. Never mind the danger of flashback, I get very nervous when the ceramic cap is sitting on the top and someone goes to lift the dome without realizing the breakage possibility. So one day when someone else in the family learns how to egg, I'll be like a sitting hen watching like a hawk to ensure the egg is handled just right.

By the way KS Cheryl, I love that you will be including your grandaughter in an eggfest. What a nice thing to do. Can't imagine many girls saying their grandmothers tought them about egging...knitting, sewing and baking yes but egging? LOL.

~Judy
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Two fo my Grandkids live in a trailer on my Front Lawn.. As I was cooking the wings today they ran out of the house and in unison yelled "Papa Pete Whatcha Cookin'" They just knew if I was on the front porch I was cooking something.

The youngest grandchild told his mom he wanted a small egg like Papa Pete's I am right proud of my Grandkids :laugh:
  • As mentioned by others, my husband used to do all of the gasser cooking......until there was the EGG. We both like to cook and work well together (but know when to get out the way heh heh). So now we are BOTH EGGERS. He doesn't post but reads now and then. I really enjoy reading the forum so I am the information coordinator. Can't pass up a chance to tell him how to do something. ha! :laugh: Just a woman thing! : ;)
    After going to Casey's Omahafest we were anxious to try new cooks.
    We started with a large, last spring and by October, I just had to have a small. Today I did two chickens and a small pork loin on the large, using that wonderful roaster everyone raved about around Thanksgiving. (Kitchen Aid - stainless). Everything went on at the same time and I just left the chicken on a little longer direct on the grill, to crisp it up.

Happy eggin!
    Carol
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Count me in!!! B)

I'm the egger of the house. Though my bf does occasionally help out! He loves egging, just not as much as me. Most of the time I am the one cooking and prepping. I'm also the only one that posts on the forum.

-Jill
  • I'm the only cook in our house, which I don't mind a bit, especially since the eggs arrived last spring (I've got two mediums, one gets to do the "dirty" cooks, the other gets to do the baking). My other half threatens that once he retires the end of June he might try his hand at egging, but I'm not too worried. :whistle:
  • Mainegg
    HHMMM a "dirty" egg and a "clean" egg. I like that thought! I love baking on the egg. Did a mean peach cobbler that impressed the heck out of the family camping last fall. they could not believe when i put it on after the turkey. Julie
  • I have done the same thing...
    Pulled off the main course and then "throw" on something for dessert.
    My favorite is to make a caramel topping with pecans and bananas to put onto ice cream. I add the bananas at the end or they will not hold up during cooking.

That is a huge hit and everyone is impressed that it is being made while we eat dinner virtually unattended.

Linnea
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Well, elusive Cat, one of the first and best Eggers to post & then the talented Gretl were both very inspiring in early forum days. Q-Babe, Mollyshark, Desert Filly and many others are very helpful. I also know of a competition BBQ team (Chicks in Charge) - all women who have BGEs in their arsenal.

About a week after we bought our first BGE I bought myself a mini and spent a cold winter month learning (with the help of YB, Char~Woody, JJ, & Mr. Toad) how to cook on it while my husband was out of town. There were no daisy wheels back then so it was a little trickier.

A few years ago I bought a second large - I was lucky enough to spot a "Large BGE for sale" post as soon it appeared on the forum. I got the whole works, including table for $200 from a woman who was selling off her ex-husband's stuff.

To answer your last question - we both cook on the eggs, often at the same time.

Julie Applegate
  • I don't know if I'm actually an "Egger", since I only occasionally use it. I do know how to fill to the rim, light, and get the Egg to temp. I like to do the cakes....On the other hand, Spring Hen and I did make some very original concoctions at the "after party" at Eggtoberfest. That...in itself was the highlight of my eggfest trips last year. So....take that back...I'm an "Egger".

Kim
  • Mainegg
    WOW so there are quite a few lady eggers out there. Or are we Hens :kiss: Nice to see. I love the caramel and pecan idea do you share recipes? I would love that one. Love a good divorce sale! what a deal!! Julie
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Awriiiight!

We'll get them l'il buggers trained right!

Just think -- Those Egg'll make it possible for us to influence generations yet unborn!

Maybe we should start a Church 'o th' Egg!

:lol::lol:
  • Hi, I LOVE my Large BGE! I have owned it for 1 year now. Just, Satruday, I convinced my hubby to buy me a MINI BGE to go with it! I love it when just cooking for the 2 of us and we can take it with us to camp (Potter County, Pa). I do all the cooking & he mostly does the eating! :laugh:
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Church of the Holy Smoke?
  • Mainegg
    hmmm will we see "faces" in the smoke?? If we drink enough grape soda??
  • Count me in!

I do the prep and cook since it's just me. Everything that comes off the Egg is wonderful!
  • I egg!! I have managed to convince hubby to give it a go and he managed a lovely little beer basted chook on the weekend, not bad at all.

like I always say.." no wife ever murdered her husband while he was vacuuming" :P

a