Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL dimensions

Options
RustyEgg
RustyEgg Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My father-in-law is having an outdoor kitchen made that is going to include an XL BGE, does anyone have the dimensions needed to place the XL BGE in the counter? I saw from the table plans that the diameter of the opening needs to be 26 1/4 inches and that the dimension from the top of the counter to the top of the bottom shelf should be 12 1/2 inches. Are there any others that I need to consider? Any pictures?

I'll post some pictures of the completed kitchen.

Many thanks,
RustyEgg

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Haven't built mine yet. When I do I'll be following the plans from BGE for the dimensions. Check the link for plans. It's about half way down and in pdf. format. Good luck
    Mike

http://www.biggreenegg.com/tables.html
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I built my table following the BGE plans with minor mods primarily associated with the hinge. I built the table and mounted the Egg prior to fitting the corian around it. Had I followed the plans, I would have had a clash between the hinge and the top of the table. I moved the Egg back on the table to make sure the hinge didn't hit the table. Maybe the plans on the BGE website are for an XL table using an older hinge design.

The top of my table is 13" above the concrete paver. I'm using the BGE feet to lift the Egg an additional 1/2" over the recommended 12-1/2"
    101_1745.jpg

Hinge with dome closed
    101_1739640x480.jpg

Hinge with Dome open
    101_1740640x480.jpg

Hinge with dome open
    101_1743640x480.jpg

In order to make sure the hinge doesn't clash with the table top the dome to bottom centerline should be a minimum of 5-1/2" above the table top (I would go 6") or the Egg could be mounted so the hinge extends over the back of the table, or have a gap for the hinge to go into. Or decrease the recommended top to shelf measurement to 11-1/2"

BTW - Thanks to Spring Chicken for bringing the hinge issue up before I two blocked myself.

I recommend going to your local dealership and verifying the dimensions. Although I checked this several times I could be a half bubble off - my bride says that's a given.

Good luck with the project.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    One more photo. Bottom of hinge to top of paver is just under 12". Probably need to add a 1/2" to 3/4" for some "spring/bounce" when you open the dome if the hinge will be over the top of the table. Reminder: I'm also using the BGE feet - without the feet reduce the + or - 11-1/2" to 11" and please verify dimensions to satisfy yourself.

101_1751640x480.jpg

Good Luck
  • RustyEgg
    Options
    This is exactly what I was looking for, great information and the pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks,
    RustyEgg
  • Gjphillips
    Gjphillips Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For some reason I can not access the photos.  I am looking for height from bottom of XL to hinge with dome open. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    For some reason I can not access the photos.  I am looking for height from bottom of XL to hinge with dome open. 
    This link is almost 10 years old. The photos were linked to outside photos hosted on photobucket and such. The owner must have moved them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas